Monday 20 July 2015

BRRR!!!! IT'S COLD.

Wow, yesterday morning -3.8 at 7am and today -3.4 at about the same time.  The frost was thick.

Frost on lawn out back.
Also, ice was still on the water feature at mid-day.



I've been busy with sewing/knitting over the last week too.
The quilt on the machine is now off and the binding and being handsewn of a night, which is keeping me warm and cosy over my lap.

Back of quilt showing pattern called Mosaic by Lorien quilting.
I'm not showing the front till binding is finished. (ha ha).
Finished knitting a jumper also.  I started this just before we left Ballarat.  It is a thick wool and I've worn it twice in this cold weather and it is definitely warm.


Another knitting finish!  A scarf & beanie for Little E in Canberra.  I've sent this off now and hope she receives it before Friday, when she goes into hospital to have her tonsils out, which hopefully goes well.  A lacy variegated scarf I showed in an earlier post is also on its way to 18 year old GD in Sydney.


Does anyone remember my little cyclamen I showed just before we left Ballarat.  Well, look at her now and there are still more buds to open.

Looking good.
Ok, we'll leave it there for tonight and hopefully post about our walk on Saturday afternoon during the week.  All in all it was a reasonably productive week with some finishes, baking and pulling out that foundation paper pieced star quilt, so I can finish it before the end of the year.  I've also found a crochet rug pattern I would like to try.  A giant granny square that I have seen other people do.  Found a good pattern in an old magazine.  The decluttering is coming along nicely too.
Hope everyone has a lovely week, take care.
Susan.

10 comments:

  1. Your jumper's lovely and just the thing to keep the chills out in the cold weather you're having. I'm sure the scarves will be very well received too. I like crocheting blankets in winter, they keep you warm whilst you're working on them. Hope everything goes will for E on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo and I'll pass on your best wishes to Little E. I must admit the crochet will be the same colour as the scarf and beanie, as I have a heap of that particular wool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrrrrrr!! I imagine that you feel as though you are back in an English winter rather than in Australia! I know that you have cold weather, but that is really cold for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Amy, I've never experienced an English winter, as the earliest month I've visited has been mid March and the latest was last time when we left in early October. It has been one of the coldest winters here in southern Victoria for more than 50 years.

      Delete
  4. Oh, that is cold. Poor you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very chilly, yes. We're doing OK though and it's usually sunny after a big frost.

      Delete
  5. Your jersey is lovely and I'm sure you'll be glad of it with those temperatures! Keep cosy! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Anne, we are staying as warm as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you'll soon see hints of spring! Over here the leaves are starting to turn a little brown and there's definitely the first hints of autumn. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it won't be long before spring and there are some blossom trees already flowering along with magnolias and golden wattle, though none in my garden as we're still thinking about what to get rid of and replant. I did put in a lilac the other day, but it's only a "stick" at the moment. Thanks Jan.

      Delete