Friday 9 October 2015

BITS 'N' BOBS!

I can't believe another week has gone so quickly, since I  last posted.

We've had some atrocious weather with 2 days in the mid 30's, loads of dust and smoke on Tuesday, due to windy conditions.  The fire season has started very early as well as the extreme temperatures.  Not our usual pleasant Octobers.

During the week we did some of this:

A DAY OUT.
During the week we headed for a patchwork shop (Palm Beach Quilting) at Carrum to see if I could get some brown fabric to match the outer corners of that big star quilt.  They had a wideback of the same pattern and nearly the same colour, (probably a different dyelot), so I purchased enough for the borders.  We then mosied along to Mornington and another shop (Mornington Wool & Patchwork Centre), where I purchased just two balls of wool, which cost an arm and a leg (ugh!).  It is made in Peru and one is just baby alpaca and the other alpaca and silk.  It's "beautiful", and I intend making a small cowl.  I just need to download the free pattern, as they were out of printed copies.  We had our lunch then strolled down to the bay.

Boats bobbing on Port Phillip Bay.


The waves were actually breaking over the pier wall occasionally.
 Then we strolled along the beach toward the headland.

Beach huts tucked to one side.  There were a few more, but too many people sunbathing to take decent photos.

The said headland.
ON THE CRAFTING FRONT.
Remember last week, I showed the backing and batting awaiting a quilt.  Well, I got my butt into gear, and here is the result.  A small quilt I made many moons ago from a pattern by Gayle Bong called Thirty Something which was in a magazine.

Back of quilt.

Front.

The crochet along is growing, but I really need to get a few little things done for my Xmas Swap, so this may take a little longer than intended, but, boy, am I loving doing this.

GARDEN PHOTOS.
A  pink boronia out front.
Dutch iris.
Where our caravan is parked.

Overall view of the front garden.


Azalea out the back, now in full flower.
OK, that's it for now, as the photos today seem to have a mind of their own and keep moving around.
I hope all my blogpals have a great weekend and wish us some  rain please.
Take care all,  Susan.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have had a lovely busy week.

    Don't tease with a picture of a caravan covered up!

    Your little quilt gave me a shock - years and years ago I had the same pattern (although I confess I never made it up) and subsequently met Gail at a longarm quilt show in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not teasing with it covered up. It would be unsightly and really dirty if it wasn't. Must admit to making that quilt top years and years ago, but am pleased with how I've quilted it.

      Delete
  2. I wish we could send you some of our rain, I'm totally fed up of it already, though I must admit that the sun's trying to break through today. Your blanket is coming along well, the colours are really lovely. I think it will definitely hold our interests with all the different stitches it includes. Lovely photos of your day out, I doubt we'll have another trip to the beach now this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, send it pronto (lol). Yes, I am so enjoying this crochet rug, though I hope it doesn't get too warm of an evening, as it could be more difficult with it all over my lap as it grows. I love walking along the beach and smelling the sea, so we try and get to one as often as we can.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to see your Spring flowers, just as we roll over into Autumn colours!
    I'll be interested to see your cowl pattern, as I bought a single skein of something "beautiful" myself when in Amsterdam recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shandy. I'm just hoping our gardens don't deteriorate in the hot summer predicted. I'll get the pattern printed out and then show it on my blog soon. I've popped across to your blog and love what I saw, especially your holiday in Lakes District.

      Delete
  4. we keep our caravan under wraps too - stops it going green in our lovely damp winters!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours gets a bit like that in winter too, although it's not as damp here. It's the bird poop that is worse!

      Delete
  5. Good to see you posting, and glad you had a nice time out to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lovely front yard. I had to look up boronia; what a pretty plant. I love the small quilt you made, and the quilting is beautiful. Your crochet project is coming along nicely, too. I also find crochet very relaxing and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna for your kind words. The crochet is progressing and I'm now up to a few rows of shells. It's quite interesting doing all the different patterns.

      Delete