Monday 16 November 2015

A LITTLE OF NOTHING!!!!!

A bit absent of late, but I am still here.  I'll post bits and bobs occasionally till I feel a lot better than I do now.

MY FIRST QUILT.

Most people probably don't know that I made my first ever quilt in 1977 between the birth of my two boys. (Dec 1976 and Jan 1978)  Now work that one out and you realise they were pretty close.  My great aunt suggested it and sort of told me what to do.  Cut 6" squares from leftover dressmaking fabric of which I had a lot from years of making my own clothes, as well as DD's, put in some wadding and a back.  Wadding was so thick back then and I think all polyester.  I possibly sewed the back to the front, put in the wadding, then tried to quilt across it, not very successfully, but it lasted from then till about 2004 when my late cat passed away and it was by then falling to pieces.  The boys played on, under and with it for many years, then our two cats used it to sleep on.  I found this photo of it when sorting through some photos one day.  Glad I have some sort of record.  I've made many more since then.

First quilt.
I've suddenly noticed this photo must have been taken whilst we lived in Tasmania from 1987 to 1994.

Now here is a photo (taken today) of how my sewing machine is set up and is especially for my US blogpal Joanna.  Hope you now understand what I was trying to say in the comment.


Not done too much, though I have managed to quilt the little quilt I showed last time and have even  machined the binding ready to finish.  I've hardly even used the camera much.
I have a large project I really want to get done, as it has been in the pipeline for years.  I thought if I try and get stuck into that it might actually happen, so just another bit of info if I don't get to your blogs a lot over the coming weeks.  I don't want to tell what it is, in case it doesn't happen.

Just a note to end on.  I do wish we could have PEACE in this wonderful world of ours and my thoughts go out to all those affected by this latest incident.

Have a great week all and take care.
Susan.


10 comments:

  1. I think a lot of us have 'first quilts' very much like that. Hope you are feeling a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of us do and some have quite 'wow' first quilts, but then that's not me.

      Delete
  2. The events in Paris are absolutely terrible, aren't they? My heart goes out to the victims and their loved ones. It's good that you've got some sort of record of your first quilt, it sounds like it was well used. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very well used and I always thought I didn't have a photo, so was a bonus when I found it.

      Delete
  3. It is a shame that you don't still have your first quilt, but that just shows how much it was loved and used and after all that is the most important thing isn't it! Great that you have a lovely photo of it and great memories too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy and guess what? It is now the first one in the quilt album.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the picture, Susan. Ideally, that's how my machine will sit some day. I love that your first quilt was used by so many little beings; that's how it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thanks Joanna. Yes, the quilt was very well loved, but look where it has led me.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear that you are not well. This seems to have been going on for some time - hope it clears soon. Do you know Anne at Frayedattheedge? She has my e-mail address.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved hearing about your first quilt, made from leftover dressmaking fabric. It must have been full of memories from times when your children were small and I bet they remember it well.It must have been part of their childhood. xx

    ReplyDelete