Monday 9 November 2015

NOVEMBER CATCHUP

Boy, I am rather behind on posting, so will do a quick catchup.

CRAFTING WITH LEFTOVERS.

2 1/4" strips leftover from bindings.
These are being sewn together 'willy-nilly' and then I'll work on a layout and it will become a picnic rug for the car.  Over the 35+ years I've been quilting I've accumulated a lot of these strips, although some have been given away over the years for charity things.


The above little quilt has been sitting over the machine for a week now.  I made this in the late 90's in a workshop with Mary Ellen Hopkins and will be popped in with the other charity quilts.  I really do have a lot of things to finish.  Oh dear!

THE WEEKEND BEFORE LAST.

On the Sunday, we decided to visit the State Rose Garden of Victoria, as I knew the roses should be well out by now.  We'd had quite a hot week, then on Saturday morning a deluge of rain, but although a bit battered they looked very colourful.  We then went on to visit DD and grandkids before heading back across Melbourne to here.


The above 2 pics are overall views from a rise.

One of the many swags.

A new rose in the trial bed.
OUR GARDEN.

Not a lot to show at the moment.  Weather has been quite erratic with cool days amongst warmer and humid ones and today is about 30 with tomorrow predicted to be only 17 with some rain.  As for rain, last month we had 28mm, the lowest for October that we know about and yet we've already had 24mm this month.  Crazy!

We've netted our two large blueberries to hopefully deter the birds.  It was very hard trying to get a photo of the actual blueberries, but that is a little of what is on the bigger of the two, below.



I'm still not feeling 100%, but am trying to get at least some things done.  This morning I made an easy ginger cake and a date & walnut slice.
I've also been trying to get some Xmas gifts done as well as the 12 Days of Xmas thing I've joined in with, from Jo's blog.  These are all a bit secret so can't show anything.
Well, I'm off to water some pots, do the veg for tea and then just after 7pm will be talking to someone on the other side of the world I hope.

Take care all and have a good week,
Susan.

12 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better soon. I wouldn't bet my chances on those blueberries if you had Bag End blackbirds, they're like tiny velociraptors when it comes to soft fruit - utterly single-minded and determined, that's why we ended up investing in the big fruit cage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on it Jayne, so thanks. We have a few blackbirds, but also rosellas, cockies & wattlebirds as well as the usual sparrows, indian miners etc. who will all eat the berries. Our magpies are more carnivorous so probably won't be a problem, just want handouts from me occasionally. This will have to do for the time being.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you're going to have a great blueberry harvest. My little bushes did rather well this year, I was pleased with the amount I got off them. The roses are looking gorgeous, we've still got one or two flowering here though I'm not sure how long for, the weather's definitely turned now and we're well on the way to winter, I'm not looking forward to it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I've only ever had a 'little' blueberry before, so this is a bit different. I'd love some roses in this garden, (have one so far), but they are so expensive here. I don't mind the cold too much, but hate the hot days over 30 and especially when we have ones in the 40's. I just try and remember that we do have 4 seasons and I should enjoy them all.

      Delete
  3. Hope your feeling better soon, I'm very nearly ready to post your parcel out. The roses look good I have one still flowering in my garden but that is very nearly over xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I have 2 things to go. One I'm waiting on and the other I have to finish, then I'll be set to post.

      Delete
  4. I do hope that you are back to yourself again soon. Keep taking care of yourself in the meantime and enjoying smelling the roses and looking forward to the blueberries! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I'm working on that. I think I'll be giving blueberries away in spades and also freezing some. I'm waiting for my one and only rose to flower and will show it when it does. If only I had the roses I did in our old house on the other side of town.

      Delete
  5. Take it easy - don't over do it -xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, rose gardens - I love them. I bet they smelt amazing. Take care of yourself and make time to rest. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. Some of the newer roses don't have much smell, but you could certainly tell the ones that did, especially the dark reds.

      Delete