Wednesday 25 November 2015

CATCHING UP ---- AGAIN!

Now where do I start?

Ok, we'll begin with the day out to the zoo, last Friday with DD and family.  I'd never been to Melbourne Zoo before and looked forward to seeing the family, but found some of it just a bit stressful.  I'm not sure I like to see large animals without lots of freedom, but that's just me.  I did love the butterfly house and although it sprinkled on and off, I did enjoy the day on the whole.

Peacock posing for many cameras, including mine.

Butterflies feeding.

Isn't this one beautiful.

Saturday saw us set off to Phillip Island to pick up the last of my "SWAP" gifts, which didn't go exactly to plan.  The place (not giving too much away), where we headed was in the throws of renovation and they are marketing their wares differently, hence not being to get exactly what I wanted.  I gave in and purchased something along similar lines and have made the best of it.
Next, we went on a mini adventure to the other end of the small island to see if we could spot seals on the rocks.  Even with our binoculars, I wasn't sure if I could make any out, but do have some great photos to show of the island and some wildlife.

The Nobbies, just beyond the main island.
Many headlands and coves along the island's coast.
Looking down to one of the many coves.

The penguin viewing area, where the Little Penguins cross the beach at dusk every evening on the way to their burrows.It is very controlled and no photos are allowed. 
Cape Barren Geese, one of the island's lovely inhabitants.

Monday I made a Lemon Shortcake and we picked our first blueberries.




Yesterday I finished quilting this.

OK, so this is the back.
I have a 'confession' to make.  I am trying to write a book, but don't know how to write patterns.  I design by using my Quilt Wizard software or on graph paper and just make notes for myself.  I've been asked several times if I have a pattern for something and my mind boggles as to how to put it down in understandable format.  I've produced quite a few tops that DD thought would do well as a book, so now I'll get them quilted and see if I can't do it.

Today I went to the Post Office with this.

Xmas Swap gifts should now be somewhere in the system ready to fly off to their destination.

ANNOUNCEMENT.

"We have frogs in our pond".  Some of the tadpoles are now wee frogs.  I can't believe that they grow legs and lose their tales.  Amazing.  I'll try and get a photo when a little larger.  I find nature so fascinating.


So that has been our week so far and now will settle in for the night after having a lovely massage this afternoon.
Hope everyone is having a good week and take care.
Susan.

8 comments:

  1. I feel the same about zoos, I hate to see animals in enclosures but I think the larger zoos which allow the animals to roam actually do a good job. They take animals which can't be released in to the wild and have breeding programmes for endangered species. The peacock is such a beauty, they're amazing how they fan their feathers in that way. Phillip Island looks beautiful, how wonderful to be able to see penguins there. How exciting that the Christmas swap gifts are now on their way, I've still got mine to wrap, I must get round to that this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. We have some free range zoos and they are definitely better and I do understand that if we didn't have them, we'd have lost a lot more animals by now. Phillip Island is one of my favourite days out.

      Delete
  2. I don't visit the zoo often though we do have a large fairly local one. I understand the need behind them. I love the peacock shot, a local garden centre has a peacock & hen roaming free through the grounds. I am thrilled to say I have your parcel wrapped & ready to post on Thursday. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love going to Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney where I grew up when younger and it does seem somewhat more spacious than the we have down here. I know they are in some ways a neccesity. I'll email over the weekend about parcel.

      Delete
  3. Growing up in Africa meant wild life parks rather than zoos. We used to visit them and my Dad would drive to a watering hole and we'd sit, sweat rolling down us as we sat in a sweltering hot car during mid day waiting for thirsty zebra or elephant to wander down. We would have to sit in total silence - so not to scare off the animals - I can remember hearing the buzzing of flies and hearing far off bird song. As well as remembering the heat haze....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hawthorn, I don't know what to say. I'll be in touch.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your book venture. I'm sure you'll do brilliantly with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, we'll see if it ever gets off the ground. Good to hear from you.

      Delete