Sunday 13 November 2016

JUST DREAMING.

OK,  not the only thing I'm doing, but settling back into normal life is hard at the moment.
I have been "doing", but nothing seems worth blogging about.  Have you ever dreamt of a beautiful garden, but just don't seem to get it right.  Well, that is how I feel just now.  This will be a post about a garden I visited whilst away & a catch up with mine.

EGGLESTON HALL GARDEN & NURSERY.

This garden & nursery is situated not far from Barnard Castle in County Durham and I enjoyed it, being a little different from others I've seen.  A quick walk through with photos. There is a marked path wandering past herbaceous borders & shrubberies, then into the secret churchyard.

Ruined chapel which dates back to 1612.
 Wandering on, we came to a part walled garden which houses the nursery, along with some small display gardens.

An old espaliered apple.

More espaliers clothe the wall.

An imitation 'Angel of the North" on one wall.

Lovely displays of potted plants for sale, above & below.



There are a giftshop, cafe & tearoom, so you may wander, purchase & eat here.  I wish I'd taken more photos, but the day was very overcast and threatening rain, but oh so lovely.

MY GARDEN.

I missed the flowering of most of my bulbs, but was rewarded with the garden being in quite good shape after being away for 6 weeks.  We evidently experienced quite a bit of rain over that time, so some things have really taken off & I've already started trimming & taking out some of that seaside daisy (erigeron).

'Tis a little bit of a thug, when conditions are right.  The pond is somewhere in there.
Just a few others that are doing quite well.

A dianthus brought over from Ballarat.

One of my Xmas presents last year.  Pierre de Ronsard is doing very well.

Jasmine on the back fence, planted in winter.

Miniature gladiolus, again brought with us.

Blue ixias.
  I had these in a pot for several years after receiving them from an elderly lady.  This is the best they've done.

Sweet peas, I planted from a punnet, not long before our holiday.  They are doing quite well, with all the wind we've experienced over the last 4 weeks.  A few more colours have appeared now.
This little posy (picked from our garden) is sitting on my little side table.
Although I'm still not back into my quilting mode, I do have this on the machine now & have actually done "2" rows.



Ah well, I will try, but now I keep thinking Christmas is fast approaching & want to try & have some small handmade gifts ready for posting.  Must also catch up on this blogging caper too, as before we know it, next year will be here and I've still not caught up on our UK holiday photos.

All for now.  Will I post through the week?  I do hope so and not let so many days go by before I sit here browsing photos and thinking up what to say.  Wish I had a way with words, but you have to take me as I come.
Take care all and hope you're having a good weekend.  Cool, overcast, breezy and occasionally damp for us.  I need to finish mowing the lawns before Tuesday.
Huggles, Susan.

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely garden you have and summer is approaching for you. Cold, damp but sunny at the moment in the UK, as winter is nearly here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Wet here again this morning & only supposed to be in the high teens today. Yes, summer is approaching, but still not as warm as it should be for November here in the far south.

      Delete
  2. I think your garden's looking lovely and it will only get better as more things bloom as the warmer weather comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. We'll see what happens over summer, but I know the sort of garden I would like, but being on such a slope, it's not working & getting older isn't helping either (giggle).

      Delete
  3. I can't see any thing wrong with your garden photos, and don't worry about a way with words, just be YOU, we will come and read and see what photos you share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never visited Eggleston Hall, looks an interesting garden :) Your garden looks, like you say, have done well whilst you were galavanting about :) Mine looks less disaster and more promising. The tree now gone has left a delicious space, we lifted loads of plants and moved them in to pots to re-do in spring, we've sawn off many branches from trees we can't fell and already the garden feels lighter. Unfortunately the weather has now turned wet and not garden-accessible so we may have to wait until spring before the next bash at 'garden-make-over' ! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden was great & sounds like a visit could be the order in Spring for you to find something. Seems like it "was" all happening, but you can now concentrate on Xmas & the garden can sleep till Spring.

      Delete
  5. Hello lovely girl :) So sorry you are still struggling to find whatever is 'normal' now you're back in Oz. Congrats for getting to your quilt machine, you are doing far, far better than me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. Oh, I'm OK & there is still only 2 rows done. We've a busy day today & Wednesday, so Thursday may see it finished.

      Delete
  6. Your garden looks lovely as usual... wish I had your talent and/or motivation :) Well done for doing two rows. I have yet to turn Emmie G on - keep thinking I am going to and then I do something else instead... sigh... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, but I can understand the overwhelming feeling you have of packing up again, so take it one day at a time.

      Delete
  7. Your garden and quilt are both lovely. Eggleston Hall looks like a great visit. The churchyard is fascinating to me, I wish there were such sites to explore where I am, but I'd be hard-pressed to find gardens from the 17th-century! How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel & welcome to my world. We are hard pressed too, to find anything much older in architecture than approx. 220 years, so visiting UK is a real bonus. I've had a wee peep at your blog & your cross stitch is lovely. Take care.

      Delete