Sunday 6 November 2016

HOLIDAY TO UK - POST 2.

First & foremost, I want to thank everyone who left comments on my last post.  We still seem to have ongoing internet complications.  Hope to deal with it next week.  I've done some catching up with other blogs, though not all.  Sorry!

STAYING IN BURNLEY.

We spent 3 lovely nights away in Burnley.  It was actually the only place we could find on short notice, that was close to some places we wanted to visit.  First day we went back to Skipton to take the train to Carlisle, but once more it was fun & games.  No parking found at the station, so we headed to Gargrave.  Plenty of parking, train caught & we were on our way, but there had been a landslip further up the line, so our trip was somewhat not what we had planned.  We did have a great day though, despite both the weather & change of plans.

Gargrave station.

From the window of the train.

Settle station.
Settle had been where we'd planned to start our journey & the above photo was taken about a week beforehand, when we were doing our homework on the Settle to Carlisle Railway.  This particular day, my camera ran out of battery after I'd taken this snap, so no more photos of Settle.  It is a lovely town & we sat & ate our lunch looking at some very high cliffs.  Lovely.

As the day progressed you can see what the weather, then threw at us.

This is where the gypsy's have their huge horse fair.

A field of black sheep.

Ribblehead Viaduct.
I've always wanted to go over the above viaduct, & although the day didn't go quite as planned, it's one to tick off my bucket list.  This photo was taken after we had been across it later in the afternoon. We thought a photo from the road would be appropriate as I just couldn't manage one from the train.

Friday saw us head to The Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland.  For some of my old followers, they might remember we tried to visit in 2014, and the day we went it was closed.  Better equipped this time and it was open.  Just a few pics of what we saw.

Not sure I'd like the taste of these, even though I love scampi.

A very shiny Morris Minor.  Of course I had to take a photo.

Must be from Yorkshire?

I love the colour and shape of this.  Also , those milk churns remind me of my early childhood days.

Now for something I didn't know. "Diesel" fuel was actually named after someone.  Hmmm?  What have I been thinking.  Probably nothing, as it never occurred to me to even contemplate where it got it's name from.

Here he is.
The afternoon was spent at Quarry Bank Mill, a National Trust property.  I LOVED it, but no photos as the camera died once again.  I certainly didn't have much luck with it.  We are members of the N. T. here in Oz, so could use our cards in UK.  That is a big bonus & we took advantage of it  and I will show quite a few others we went to, over the next few weeks.

When we arrived back at the motel, the receptionist asked where we'd been & then asked if we'd seen the Singing Ringing Tree.  No, we hadn't, so were given a sheet of directions and visited it on our way back to Leeds next morning.

This is a Panopticon, which does actually sing & ring in the breeze.  I found it 'amazing'.

View from the TREE.

A very lovely 3 days away.
Hope you enjoyed our short journey and I'll be back with more of our trip over the next few weeks, interspersed with what is going on now, too.
Take care all.
Susan.


19 comments:

  1. What a lovely sculpture the TREE is and actually to make a noise is brilliant. I should think it is always singing in that part of the country sitting on that outcrop. Must visit it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly something & it was certainly pretty exposed up there, but very beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I was glad that you'd finally got to the Leyland museum:) I know lots of your recent trip didn't quite go according to plan . . . wish I could have conjured up better weather for our Lake District Walk {glum}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not to plan, but we sure had a great time & am missing over there something chronic.

      Delete
  3. You certainly get about when you come over here. Glad you managed to get to the Leyland Museum on this trip, I know you were disappointed that it was closed last time. Scampi Fries, it's years since I've had those. I've never heard of the Singing Ringing Tree before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. You have such amazing things in a small space & even though Oz is interesting, everything is spread so WIDE. Try & see the above tree, as it's only just outside Burnley. I've still so much more on my list(giggle).

      Delete
  4. You certainly managed to fit in a lot in your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes we did. Can't go that far and not see anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness you fitted a lot in on your trip. The smell of scampi fries has put me off ever wanting to taste them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we did lots, but not enough for me. I'd never even heard of scampi fries, so you are one up on me.

      Delete
  7. Such familiar sites and places! Although I have never been to the 'Singing Ringing Tree' and it is so close! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you may recognise some & a few more may come up over the next few posts. The tree is amazing & it's not too far from you. There are also some walks in the area.

      Delete
  8. It's lovely to see some familiar places here. The Singing Ringing Tree sounds fantastic, and it does look as though it's in a windy spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian & there may be a few more familiar ones soon. If you can get to the tree, it is worth it.

      Delete
  9. Everything looks so charming, and it's interesting to me to see that train travel is still the way to travel there. Here, it's mostly highways or planes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is all charming & train travel isn't the "in" thing, just something that I enjoy, as it takes me back to my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We really should design a stitchery quilt based on your country photos, wouldn't that be lovely? xx

    ReplyDelete