Thursday 27 August 2020

AUGUST PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT - 2020

Catching up with Kate and the photo scavenger hunt once again.  Not missing it this time, even though I found these prompts somewhat difficult in "difficult" times.😖

1.  MOVING.
         Fast moving car on the race track on Phillip Island taken from the archives a few years ago.

2.  BOXES.
Taken this afternoon on my well loved blanket box.  To the left is my late Mum's "hankie" box where she always kept her clean handkerchiefs.  Centre and right are two boxes DH has made me over the years.

3.  STARTS WITH......D
The old "DREDGE" at Porcupine Flat near Maldon in Central Victoria where gold was once mined.


4.  BREAKFAST.
Ah......breakfast is finally here.  One taken from the archives of a couple of King Parrots at the feeder one morning.


5.  MAKING.
"Making" pieced backings for some recent quilts that I've quilted over the last few months.  Not having access to any of my favourite quilt shops for widebacks, I've resorted to using leftovers or larger pieces from my stash and sewing them together to be big enough.  

6.  MY OWN CHOICE.
Our magnolia "Susan" just coming into flower, but already being blown to pieces by the extreme winds we are experiencing today.

My lot for this month and although I've found this difficult, I think it is just the fact that we cannot venture anywhere and won't be able to for a long time to come.  Photos 2, 5 & 6 were all taken about 5 minutes before I started doing this.  We'd planned on going for a walk in the rare sunshine, but it is just too windy and I know that I'd have trouble with my mask in the wind and my ears would pain terribly.
Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday, before the next cold front and rain arrive.
Take care all, stay safe and huggles from down under.
Susan.
I will link up this time................


23 comments:

  1. You've done well with your photo choices. Those King Parrots are beautiful, how lucky you are to have them visit your garden. I hope you manage to have some better weather for your walks. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I love all the native birds which we see here.

      Delete
  2. You've managed those prompts perfectly well. I do hope the magnolia holds onto its buds in the wind, it would be a shame to lose all those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I'll take another photo when it has more flowers hopefully.

      Delete
  3. Great photos for the prompts Susan, I love the colourful quilt pieces, and the parrots are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice. Don't always manage to slip in crafty photos for the hunt, but I know one who does & always look forward to that.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of a hankie box. It's so much more eco friendly than boxes of disposable tissues. I remember my two sisters and I getting a packet of three embroidered hankies every Christmas but can't for the life of me remember if we ever used them. Simple enough to pop them into a plastic tub and collect up a few for a wash load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. Tissues never around when I was young & hankies served many purposes other than nose blowing. You could tie threepence or sixpence in the corner for, well all sorts of reasons too numerous to mention now that I think about it, but in the 50's a pie was onlysixpence to buy. Those were the days.........

      Delete
  5. I knew you would find something spectacular for making. And your breakfasting birds are stunners. Hope Susan the magnolia survives the stormy weather. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. Storm over for now & tree has survived and at least there are plenty more buds to come out. I knew you'd like the birds.

      Delete
  6. Love the dredge. So sorry for the difficult times you are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dredge is amazing! It is a mix of fascinating history and dreadful waste. Keep walking - it does wonders for the soul x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate & yes it is amazing and was used in days of old, but I'm glad it is still there for posterity even though it is wasteful. It shows us our history. We'll definitely walk somewhere tomorrow & look for fallen trees after the devastation of the storms last night.

      Delete
  8. Glad you are back as I love seeing your pictures. What a treat to have exotic (to us - I get excited about the robin that visits) at your bird table. Your dredger reminds me that B watches some programmes about prospecting for gold and opels in Australian outback. What a precarious way to make a living! Keep well and safe. Life must return to normal or at least to a new normal sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol & I did post last month but too late for the linky thing. I love old relics of any kind. We also quite often watch the Aussie gold hunter series & also one called Outback Truckers which B might like. I love all our native birds & it makes me smile at the moment to see their antics.

      Delete
  9. Glad you are back, missed you last month. I love the old dredger (favourite photo), just needs a bit of TLC... I have a small collection (and growing) of bits of fleece left over from backing quilts. I need to experiment with joining them to make bigger pieces I can use for backing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. I didn't miss lat month but the linkup was already gone. I've been piecing backing since I started quilting, but like to use the widebacks on the big machine. Suppose I'm just being a bit lazy......This pandemic has me thinking outside the box somewhat & what with lousy weather, I've been inside & trying to stay busy.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful photos, Susan. Love your boxes. The hankie box reminded me of my Mum who always made sure we had a clean hankie in our pockets before going out:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. Same here, always clean hankies, knickers & socks.(giggle)

      Delete
  11. Great photos, I love the parrots and the action car was a great capture! Looking forward to seeing you again next month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your choices for this month!! The old dredge in particular is a beauty - the patina of age is such a wonderful sight. I hope you can at least get out for your walks weather permitting - it really makes a difference not just to walk but also to feel a bit freer! Thinking of you over there xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A nice selection here, I think the King Parrots are so colourful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving your pictures, the 'Dredge' reminds me of a book I had when I was little, Mick Milligans Steam Shovel, I think my Mum still has it somewhere! Love the wooden boxes and the pieced bakings for quilts is a brill idea. CN x

    ReplyDelete