Tuesday 27 October 2020

GARDEN & CRAFT CATCH UP.

 Over the last month I've lagged on blogposts, but have still been taking photos, doing "stuff", as in a bit around the garden(weather permitting) & our crafts, plus walking, which will come in another post before the end of October.

Let's start with the garden & few favourites.

Dutch iris in the front garden.

The snowball bush in full bloom with the banksia rose on the trellis.

The hydrangea with a wayward flower out of season.

The concrete planter surrounded by violets & filled with what I call pink bluebells.
Maybe I should do a little research into what they are really called.

Some of the work we are attempting is also shown below.

Hubby is trying to extend his shed and he is this far now, but due large amounts of rain the progress has been slow.


The excavation work & a pile of soil building up behind, which I've used to fill some pots ready for summer flowers., as below.

My late brother's ancient wheelbarrow with pots ready for, maybe, some petunias.

We've also moved about 200 bricks from here...................................................


Can you see them peeking through the fence from next door?  They were starting to push the fence & we approached the neighbours who didn't even know they were there, at the back of their wilderness & unaccessable to them.  We took some palings off & between DH & I, managed to move them, which was a backbreaking job, but they are now ready & waiting for a project in the near future.


We are going to pave this corner, maybe put up a triangular pergola & have some seating & pots to make it all very pretty.๐Ÿ˜Š

A couple more pics of how steep our garden is & why we need to make it "old people" friendly.

Erosion

Looking up to the shed.

Looking down.

More dirt slipping away here too.

It was supposedly landscaped professionally, but I've never understood steep sloping flower beds & we need to remedy it this year if at all possible.

Another few pics of the garden & my late birthday gifts.๐Ÿ˜

The corner of the verandah is starting to look quite colourful.

Looking across the pond, through the pergola to the far corner where we intend to pave.

A little cutie I nearly destroyed, thinking it was a slug in between some agapanthus leaves.
As soon as I realised I was disturbing a little frog, I left him be.
Isn't he the best?

My presents...........An electric lawnmower so I can help do the lawns again.
I cannot pull the starter string on a petrol one anymore & miss mowing.
The other is a wee greenhouse which will be up near the shed, once we've leveled a small spot beside the doorway.

Now onto a bit of crafting.  I'm sure we've done more than this, but a little to show that we've not been                                                                                      idle.



DH made me this beautiful "patchwork" bowl and it's gorgeous.  He did one attempt with some less favourable glue, which is going to become a receptacle for a pot plant, but the one above will definitely be used inside.


DDs quilt has been quilted & is awaiting for us all to be able to visit again, but we aren't holding our breaths.

                                              A photo shoot for 2 recently finished quilts.

Panademia on the keyhole tree.

Gee Whiz on a friends veteran car.
The last one has a bit of sun on it, on an amazingly sunny day which has been a rarity of late.
This one which I've called Luv from Oz, is waiting to be posted to UK for a blog friend's new baby boy.
Designed, pieced, quilted & labeled in Sepember/October, so has kept me busy.
I'm waiting to receive the address, then it will be on it's way.

                                       I'm ready to put this one onto the big machine today.
I'm sure you've had enough of my waffling, so will end this now and hopefully be back with some local walks we've done recently and taken my camera with me.  I'll part with one last photo of our murky grey skies of late, taken from our backyard.  This has been our weather for nearly all of this pandemic, with possibly a handful of nice sunny days.  We even lit the fire over the weekend, as temperatures were very low & the wind has been icy, though the garden, hills and farmers have appreciated the rain.

Thanks for reading my blog all, take care, stay safe & huggles from down under.
Susan.  xx



7 comments:

  1. I'm sure those murky skies will soon lift now you're heading back into summer. Our clocks went back at the weekend and I'm not enjoying the shorter days at all. I love the baby quilt, well I love all the quilts but that one especially, and K's patchwork bowl is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I always know when your clocks go back as it is on my UK calendar, but our summer this year may not be wonderful as we head into a La Nina weather pattern. The bowl was a surprise & I love it.

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks lovely Susan. I bet it will be gorgeous while we are in the depths of winter. Is that Kangeroo fabric on the quilt? It would make a lovely 3d picture. I dread to think what it will cost to post the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. The animal fabric comes as panels & seem to be the "in" thing at the moment here. There seems to be anything from flowers, animals, birds & even one with Australia on it. I'm used to postage costs with most of our family in UK & many friends (as in Jo above), & I love sending gifts.

      Delete
  3. A lovely post, it was very enjoyable to see all of your photographs. I think your garden looks lovely, so do the quilts.

    Stay safe and well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh love that bowl!!! Your garden looks amazing, much nicer than mine, although I am working on it... love your quilts too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. When we pop over, I'll bring the bowl & Panademia to show off.

      Delete