Tuesday 13 October 2020

A MUCH NEEDED SMALL BREAK.

 Having not been away in our caravan since last November, we decided to go away for a few days in it, now that we have a little freedom here in regional Victoria.  DH booked 4 days at a caravan park in Yarram, on the South Gippsland Highway only a 2 to 3 hour drive south east from home.  This little outing of ours could also help the economy & our sanity.  In the last "unlockdown"😊, around July, we'd had a drive down that way & I'd already taken some photos that I'd not posted, so here we go with a photo heavy post of this small town and what it has to offer.  Our break will be spread over a few posts & I'm determined to get to grips with the new format of Blogger so I can keep this little diary going.

YARRAM.

                                                       The lovely old court house building.
                                                        Two churches I found really nice.
Now for the reason we went here after we'd heard about the MURALS, although we've both stayed & driven through in past years, before they were done.





This selection are all on outside walls.  There are many more inside ones, that we can't access due to restrictions, but one is in a cafe where they are allowed to seat up to ten people.  I was allowed in as they were about to close & most of the customers had left.


I really did think this was something else.  One day in the future we may be able to access the rest of them.  I also found a new to me............................

The lovely quilt shop that I could go into as long as I was masked and kept the appropriate distances.
That was great for my sewjo!

MONDAY AFTERNOON.
The day was not very fine with light misty rain & very windy, so DH had seen in the atlas a place called Jack Smith Lake & thought we should take a look.  His late brother's name was Jack Smith & it was sort of calling us for short trip to fill in the rest of the day.
After a short drive from town, we turned onto a somewhat very rough road & saw plenty of nature inspired photo opportunities for me.  Here are some although not the best due to the poor weather.
The sign for the lake & reserve, but no sign of the actual lake here, so off down the rutted road.
                                      From a distance we saw these kangaroos hopping away.
                                          Then we came across another group just ahead of us.
Finally the lake came into view, but the road was so bad we parked up and did a little walking before the rain set in again.
                                 Coastal ti tree seemed to be quite predominant in these areas.
                                                                A very nice row of trees.
                                                     One of our later flowering wattles.
   This what I've always called native clematis, but I should find out what it really is sometime.
Finally the lake.  As you can see the mountains in the distance are disappearing into low level cloud.
                                                          A view further down the lake.
                  On our way out of the reserve we spotted this bunny running in front of us.  
OK enough for today & I promise I will be back with more of our break this week, even though it rained for 3 days, with a much nicer day on Thursday, we made the most of our time.
Stay safe all, take care and huggles from Susan.






14 comments:

  1. Glad you had a lovely time away! Haven't been to Yarram for donkey's years! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & maybe next year we can plan some times together & a trip to Yarram.

      Delete
  2. Glad you managed to get away after all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see your post, I've got your email, will reply, been away and now on catch up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I know what it's like being away with no i'net & then on catchup.

      Delete
  4. Glad you managed to escape for a few days. It's a shame it rained but a change is as good as a rest and you didn't let it spoil your outings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, it was great getting away & we certainly made the best of it, even in the dreary weather.

      Delete
  5. It's good that you finally managed to get away for a few days. I love all the murals and I'd like to see the cafe one in full but my favourite just has to be the first one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice. We've lots of murals here in Victoria as well as the wonderful Silo trails which have taken off in other states too. I've a few more to show in my next post.

      Delete
  6. Such a shame that it rained but I bet it was wonderful to be able to get away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was great to get away, though the rain does dampen things a bit (no pun intended), but it is much needed in this big country of ours & wish W.A. could get some as they could be in for a nasty fire season this summer.

      Delete
    2. I really do count my blessings when I hear of the terrible fires/floods and poverty in many places in the world. The UK gets its fair share of moor fires and floods too and my heart aches for those whose homes and lives are put at risk.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic that you got a little break in. You certainly didn't let the weather dampen your spirits. Hope you get another holiday in soon. Love the kangaroos! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. We do hope to head off again before the end of the year, though we can't go out of Victoria for the foreseeable future. I've another kangaroo photo coming up that I'm sure you'll fall in love with.

      Delete