Thursday 31 December 2020

FINAL LINKUP PARTY X 2.

 Linking up with Kate from I live, I love, I craft, I am me and also Cheryl from Meadow Mist Designs for the end of 2020.

WRAPPING UP 2020........................literally in quilts.

Not the best year I've ever had and feeling quite down at times, never seeming to know what would be around the corner and not being able to see family was very trying.  Over the last month, I've been at a loss to think about much at all and had decided several times to close my blog.  Somehow I've managed to hang in here & then wondered what on earth I'd actually done all year.  I picked up the notebook I keep beside the big machine (Bubs) and went through the 2020 section & realised I had achieved more than I thought, so this is a rundown of what has been quilted & also made & quilted this year.

At the beginning of the year this old quilt came off the machine and then bound & finished in February.


I actually pieced this quilt from a QNM in 1999, the year I was made redundant from the bank.  As you can see from the pic on the right, mine wasn't quite the same.  I took the photo of it yesterday while we were out on a "photo shoot" in the countryside.

As February drew to a close this one below came off the machine.  One of my own designs using fabric on hand, one which was some my late Mum gave me years ago that she came by from a friend.  It depicts the Tour de France.

I called this one Third Helping, after recolouring & rearranging it several times in my Quilt Wizard program.

Come March, I decided to use some leftover scraps from a quilt I'd made from a book, that had very odd shaped pieces cut from the sides of blocks.



Both of these quilts will donated to charity or given away as gifts.

April saw 2 old quilt tops come out of the tub and finally finished.  Both were made when we lived near Nowra, N.S.W in the late 90's early 2000's.
Made in 1996 in a class at the local quilt shop and awaiting a good home.



This one was made from a book in 2001 & I really can't remember which it was, but it has already moved on.
In July we got new neighbours in the rental property next door.  A lovely young couple with 2 children and they are refugees from Iran.  I've heard a little about the horrors they encountered and decided that the 6 year old little girl and her baby brother, who was born this July would have a small quilt each.  I happen to know they get well used.  I'm so glad.


In May I made 2 more baby quilts.  One for the lady across the road who had a girl in January & another friend who had her little girl in March.  I used the same pattern for each, which I'd again designed on Quilt Wizard as an introduction to new quilters, which has happened yet.  They make up quick which was a bonus.


I call this pattern Easy Peasy.

May also saw me quilt a QAL I joined in with Sandra from mmmquilts.  I really enjoyed this challenge.

Centred.
In July I quilted a very small quilt made from a set of stars I stitched way back.............and a couple of stitcheries from a few years ago, though I'm not sure what I was thinking about at the time.  I found both these when I was cleaning out a tub of UFO's.
I took the photo this morning out in the garden, though I've just realised that you can't see the stitcheries and I've not named it either.
Another 2 done in July (ooh, I did get a wriggle on this month), both my own designs from Quilt Wizard.
Named Eureka, after buying the fabric at a quilt shop in Ballarat by this name a few years ago.  It has also sat waiting in the tub a couple of years.  This was taken yesterday on our little outing. I do have fun at times with "photos in the wild".
Although I love the pattern I designed for this one, it was made when we were in "severe lockdown restrictions" and I couldn't access a plainer mauve fabric, so used what I had.  A bit of a disaster really, although I don't dislike it.  I called it Sonora.

Onto August and 2 more hit the machine. 


This quilt came about as the Pandemic hit after I'd been playing with fabric in the colours of a rug I'd crocheted.  I do a lot of designing with my easy to use Quilt Wizard and I couldn't help taking a second photo the other day on the verandah amongst my crazy obsession of pot plants.

As a flimsy on our back steps & I called this one Gee Whiz.  Not sure where I got that from.





And below, shown on an old car belonging to friends who immigrated from Zimbabwe and brought this beauty with them.   We met them through our car club.







Onto September and after participating in a QAL with my friend Joy from Days filled with Joy, I finally quilted my pandemic quilt which I called Panademia.  Yes a slight spelling mistake happened, but I'd already labeled it when I realised.  
I also quilted something for my DD who'd started this she told me before Master L was born & he is now 15, so I'm not the only one who can take their time with things.

Along come October and 2 more baby quilts need making and quilting.
The first one is for a blog friend in UK who found having her first baby in the middle of a pandemic very stressful.
I called this "Luv from Oz" and designed it on graph paper to use the 3 lovely panels depicting our native wildlife.  It took it's time arriving but is now in residence with a beautiful little boy.
I made a pink version of this last year to send to a friend in the UK for her new baby girl, then discovered some more of these fabric panels in mauve & made this version for my doctor who also had a girl.  It was also designed in my graph book.
Also onto the machine in October was this quilt from a  block I'd playing with on Quilt Wizard which became a reality quite quickly.  I called it Up Hill and Down Dale after the beautiful Yorkshire Dales, an area in UK I know well being married to a Yorkshireman.  

Taken yesterday whilst out and where I had wanted to capture this quilt in a hilly setting.
This is some of the beautiful scenery we get in South Gippsland.

OK, that is enough from me and sorry it is so long and possibly a bit disjointed.
It's been a long and trying day of battling my pesky blackbirds from trying to destroy our blueberry crop.  We think we've stopped them getting into the net enclosure, but after 5 times this morning I was losing patience.

Thank you Kate and Cheryl for your linkups throughout this very trying year.
Hope the New Year is kinder to everyone, take care, stay safe & hugs from the land down under.
Susan.

35 comments:

  1. Oh Susan they are beautiful. I wish you had shown more of them but, despite what you have said, you've had a very productive year. I spotted the Attic24 blanket, Dahlia I believe. My 2 favourites are Centred and Kalidocrosses. Thanks for all the lovely quilt photos and please keep them coming. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M & you spotted right with the Dahlia rug. I'll keep quilting, gardening & blogging and the blog is essentially a diary for me.

      Delete
  2. You've been very busy this year. So many beautiful quilts, so hard to choose a favourite amongst them all. Wishing you both all the very best for 2021, let's hope it's a better year than this one's been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I'll be saying Hopeful this year instead of happy, so wishing you a Hopeful New Year too.

      Delete
  3. Oh my days ... your quilts are absolutely stunning. I love sewing, but have never done any quilting. I must admit that sometimes I wonder about carrying on with blogging, especially as I don't really get many comments and sometimes wonder whether anyone is reading ... but I tend to remind myself as to why I started doing it in the first place ... it's really for me, as a bit of a diary ... if anyone else shows an interest I treat it as a bonus ... have a safe and peaceful new year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol & I must put your blog on my sidebar and mine is also mainly as a diary for myself & one day I'll do what a friend does and have it printed. Maybe now for the 8 year anniversary would be good, then a yearly one thereafter.

      Delete
  4. All your quilts are beautiful and you certainly have been busy. I've felt the same about blogging this year but have resisted the urge to close it down and agree with Carol, it's a diary. Blog for yourself as and when you feel like it. Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year to you and your family xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I like to keep busy, though the pesky blackbirds kept me too busy yesterday, so not a lot got done. Hopeful, safe, healthy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Susan you have been busy. It must cost an absolute fortune in postage. Please don't even think about closing your blog. Even if you don't post in ages it's nice to come back and catchup now and then.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Cherie and you don't keep busy? I'll keep blogging and as for postage, yes it can be expensive, but knowing how much pleasure they usually give, I'm not too worried and we have brought many across when we come over & of course local ones here don't cost anything.

      Delete
  6. What lovely selection of quilts - you have been busy and all your photos just go to prove it :)
    Have a safe and peaceful and 'healthful' 2021 and thank you for joining in the hunt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate & you may not realise how much I owe to you with these photo hunts. I've always loved photography, so the hunts are inspiring. They have kept me going as much as my craft, garden & running a household. Hopeful New Year to all there.

      Delete
  7. You've certainly been busy with your quilting and obviously achieved more than you initially thought. I hope you have a healthy and peaceful 2021 - take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice. Yes, I did feel I'd done nothing in this weird year, but actually did keep going with lots. Hopeful New Year to you too.

      Delete
  8. Your quilts are wonderful and you know I love mine very much. Take care and best wishes for 2021:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, hope yours keeps you warm in this cold weather. A hopeful new year to you too.

      Delete
  9. You should be very pleased with all of those finished quilts and very creative photography as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. Have always loved photography since I was 10, when I got my first camera, a 2nd hand box brownie.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing! Lots of lovely eye candy!!!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping over to look. Hopeful New Year to you too.

      Delete
  11. Lovely quilts.
    Happy New Year Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a productive 2020, I love all of the finished quilts! Thanks for linking up and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl & another thanks for hosting this linkup. Not sure I'd have done this post without my 2 linky friends. Hope this year will be a happy & healthy one for all, eventually.

      Delete
  13. I really enjoyed looking at all your quilts. They’re beautiful. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It must have been a nice surprise to see how busy you actually were, ALL of your quilts are so beautiful! I wish I had the patience for it, but I'll be happy admiring your creations.
    Wishing you lots of quilting time in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Astrid & I was quite surprised. All the best for 2021 too.

      Delete
  15. 2020 looks to have been a year of wonderful quilt finishes for you. Congratulations and best of luck for a productive 2021!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & I need to have some sort of goals set for this year. Hopeful New Year to you too.

      Delete
  16. My gosh Susan you've done so much this year - all beautiful - it's been a good year for getting stuff finished - I finally got a good few knits off needles as well and made good inroads into my stash before getting bored and moving on to something else lol
    Like you I've not been very up and down through 2020, not so much because of the pandemic but because of the slow down - and it's been good for me actually to take time and ponder rather than constantly being on the go. Now I just have another pile of half started things to get finished this lockdown lol. I too have been wondering about keeping blogging but for now I'm still here, reading if not writing.

    Stay well, keep your chin up and we'll get through this - at least in Australia it looks like things are pretty much under control .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil. Certainly strange times ahead for 2021 in many ways, but like you it's about keeping busy, both physically & mentally, also keeping that physical distance if out & about. I'll keep blogging too,(my own diary I suppose), taking photos & staying in touch with my long time blog buddies. Things aren't too bad here, but I still hold my breath all the time.

      Delete
  17. Well, first off, I like your version of the QNM quilt much better! I love that you gave two quilts to your Iranian neighbours! Iranians are on my mind, heavily, as tomorrow is the anniversary of when the Flight 752 was shot down with mostly Canadian Iranians on board, more senseless deaths to lay at the man-baby's feet. I may have squealed a little at seeing your version of Centred! and oh, sigh, the Yorkshire dales...hope to get back there one of these days. That photo of Gippsland is gorgeous! You had quite a productive year my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra & we are wondering when we'll ever get back to UK, especially to see K's family as none of us are getting any younger. I loved doing your Centred and can't wait to see what you come up with this year.

      Delete
  18. You definitely had a great 2020 on the finishing things up front. That's a lot of finishes and even better you got to some of your older UFOs and used up those odds and ends. I hope 2021 has gotten off to a better start. Fingers crossed we'll all be able to do more visiting of loved ones later this year.

    ReplyDelete