Sunday 24 March 2013

QUILTING, CROCHET, BASKETS, FABRICS

 This last week has brought a bit more rain and cooler weather, which isn't going to last.  Next Tuesday and Wednesday we are expecting temps in the mid thirties again.  Certainly an Indian Summer.  Lucky it is supposed to cool down again for Easter, as we are travelling to Canberra to see our youngest son, his partner and our two grandchildren.  We don't see them often enough.  Australia is such a big country.

Something I forgot to mention on my last post, is that darling hubby turned 65 on 15th March.  Oh dear, time is definitely marching on and I'm not too far behind.

Raffle quilt off machine.
Closeup of pattern.

This is the raffle quilt for the Warragul Lioness Quilt Show to be held in September this year.  It was made by several members from donated fabric.  We chose to quilt it with "Pretty Paisley" from Willow Leaf Studio.

Crochet, books, DVD's.

I've been trying my hand at crochet again after many years and this is what I've achieved so far.  I think it will be a baby rug for doantion to Vision Australia for their trading table.  I am reading "The Christmas Angel" by Marcia Willett, an auther I love.  The large book and 2 DVD's were purchased through the BBC shop UK  and only cost me $72.00 compared to having to order the book only for $79.00 from our local bookshop, and waiting maybe 6 months for it.  The DVDs I couldn't even find here in Oz.  They all arrived in 10 days.  Hubby and I have a good laugh when watching Guy Martin and laughing is supposed to be good for you.  I highly recommend it if you need a boost.


Bits I don't really need,.
For a baby play mat.
Pretty combination I like.

On Friday we took a trip to one of my favourite quilt shops,to purchase some fabric for a baby playmate to be made for my hubby's best friend's daughter , who we have just found is pregnant.  This little quilt will wing it's way to the UK, hopefully in the near future.
The pinky fabrics will go into a quilt I designed as a mockup for the Country Charmer quilt while I was waiting for the pattern to arrive.  I then decided to do just a table runner, but loved the little quilt so much, that I decided to purchase these and make the little quilt in the future, (along with so many others that I'd like to do.)
The fabrics at top were really impulse buys, a fat quarter of the birds was all that was left and the stripey one was on special.  (Shouldn't be buying fabric!!!!)
Baskets.
These are two baskets that one of our clients wove at Vision Australia.  I have mentioned  young Jim before  and that he is both blind and intellectually disabled, but such a nice person.  He is able to do the weaving with a little help.  I have a system to guide him that seems to work well.  We have to put the stakes in and then when he has finished his bit, I take the baskets home and do the tops.  He was really pleased with these two and even felt that the tops were different.  He has a very lucky Mum, whom he makes the baskets for.  When we have a little time to spare, he will ask to play the piano.  Last week he played "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Ballade pour Adeline", both of which I love.  He is utterly amazing, as he has never learnt to play, just listens to something, then plays it.  He blows my mind.



David Austen rose, "The Pilgrim".

On my desk at the moment  is this lovely rose.  I usually grow this rose in each garden  we've had as my Mum's maiden name was Pilgrim.

 Well, that was the week that was.  Next quilt onto the machine is an old mystery quilt I made in the 90's and will be for one of my best friend's sister and daughter, who are going through a tough time.  These unquilted quilts definitely were eventually made to be used.  I don't feel as guilty now with so many tops to be quilted.
I still enjoy the first stages best - colour and fabric choices, maybe me designing and then sewing and seeing what it eventually looks like.
Thanks to all my comments and have a lovely coming week.

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't have resisted that bird fabric either - it is gorgeous!

    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The raffle quilt looks wonderful. I love the birds fabric. No wonder you couldn't resist it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You chose some very pretty fabric, the playmat will be lovely. Glad to see you're getting back in to crochet again, and how lovely that you're making something to be donated to charity. What a bargain you got on the Alan Titchmarsh book and dvd's, it certainly pays to shop around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely fabric choices there. You have so many projects on the go and so many are for gifts too, aren't you generous with your time and skills. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woww, what a lot of things in one post.

    The raffle quilt looks wonderful. What was the pattern you used for the quilting?

    The fabrics are lovely, especially the pinky/lavendery collection.

    What you told us about the cost of the books and videos was quite an eye-opener. I actually read that part out to my husband as I was so amazed at the price difference.

    Oh and the rose is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More coincidence :} I have read a lot of Marcia Willet's books, love the ones with those huge Newfoundland dogs in :}

    ReplyDelete