Friday 8 March 2013

THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY

                          THE GOOD.

The good that has happened this week so far:-

1.  My "Country Charmer" pattern finally arrived from the USA on Tuesday.  (Val's did too).

2.  The RHS magazine  "The Garden" arrived in the post on Wednesday.

3.  Today, I found another magazine at our local newsagent that they have not had before.  It was       "Countryfile", which is a show I have watched while visiting family in the UK.  I bought it although I am trying hard not to buy magazines.

4.  Photo below was a surprise that appeared in the garden.  A lovely white belladonna lily, which I had forgotten I planted a couple of years ago.  I have one more white one and a pink one, neither of them have come through, I expect due to lack of rain.  My sedum has also flowered.

White  belladonna lily.
Sedum.


                        THE BAD

Now for the bad, for me anyway.  We have just experienced from the 3rd of this month 4 consecutive days above 30 deg with another 6 days forecast including today, which is now already 34 deg.  One of my quirks, is that once it reaches about 25 deg, I start to melt.  I know a lot of people who love this weather, but I don't.  It is supposed to be autumn, but, a lot of our trees have already lost their leaves and we will have to wait and see how much has died in the garden.  Sometimes when we get some good rain, it springs back and is quite amazing.  We have not had any rain this month as yet and none in sight.

                       THE UGLY.

You may already guess this one.  My garden really doesn't look good.  The violets have mostly died and I've lost a couple of azaleas.  The alstroemarias look awful and our lawn is very patchy.  The vegetable garden has ceased to be, except for my rhubarb.  Did make a lovely rhubarb and strawberry crumble the other night. (Bought strawberries as the birds, ants and skinks are eating mine.)  You can still be happy about all this in a way, as I know it will rain again and winter will be here eventually.


Wallabies and guess who?




I wasn't going to put a picture of me on this blog, but this is a little bit of fun after my whinging.  Disregard the date.  The feed is actually in an ice-cream wafer cone and they love that also, so grab them when you have finished the pellets.

Not done any sewing as my studio is so hot.  The not so flat quilt is done and back with the customer.  I did have an awful lot of trouble with it and the next one is awaiting it's turn, hopefully when the weather is a tad cooler.  All for now and have a lovely weekend my blogger friends.


3 comments:

  1. I don't think I could survive in that heat. My favourite season is summer as I hate to be cold, but I'm so glad we don't get days at that temperature here. Cute little wallaby. We saw some when we visited somewhere in Cornwall and they were really tame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness that is very hot weather, and for autumn too! I hope you get some cooler weather soon, for your garden and for your sanity. It's snowing here today and -2°C, so not very spring-like.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi girls, supposed to cool down on Wednesday/Thursday. Lucky you with snow.

      Delete