Tuesday 19 March 2013

RAIN, GLORIOUS, RAIN




                                                               RAIN, RAIN



Lower driveway with water running down.

This last week has been lovely.  Temperatures in the late teen/early twenties and rain.  The rain gauge registered 22.5mm.  Wonderful! The picture above also shows the state of the rather dead violets, which are already looking a bit better.


Exhibition Building
Melbourne Museum
On Saturday before the rain, we had gone into Melbourne for the Garden Show.  Oh dear, it is actually next weekend.  I goofed with the dates.  It is held in Carlton Gardens where the indoor exhibits will be in the Exhibition Building.  Opposite is the very contemporary Museum.  This is where we spent some time as we were already there and we get in free because we are seniors.  Pleasant day after all.

CC block
Country Charmer block No1 is sewn together and second one is cut out and waiting.



Raffle quilt.

This is the quilt on the machine at the moment.  It has bee made by many ladies in the Lioness Club and will be raffled in September  at their biennial Qhilt Show.  I am enjoying doing this one as it is flat and straight, unlike the last one.


Crochet and knitting.

To a couple of young ladies who follow my blog, I have got down some wool and found a pattern, so will do some crocheting, which I've not done for some time.  I still do quite a bit of knitting while watching TV of a night.  The photo above is a little bolero I crocheted during the early 1970's, and I do still wear it occasionally.  The shawl, I made a few years ago from 5 assorted yarns and it was fun to make.  Growing up in 60's I also crocheted a white dress.  Not got that and I often wonder what we must have looked like in some of our wayout clothes, especially our "hot pants suits".




Banana & blueberry cake.

I made this yesterday to use some bananas a friend where I volunteer gave me nearly 2 weeks ago.  They were extremely green and thought they would ripen very quickly in our hot weather, but not so.  I am going to take it with me today as an extra to the wonderful scones Shirley makes on our Tuesday  Day Centre program.

9 comments:

  1. Well at least you still had a nice day out in Melbourne! I'm glad things like that don't just happen to me.

    Crochet, knitting and quilting - is there no end to your talents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian, but I have age on my side.

      Delete
  2. I just love your take on the CC quilt! I am so tempted to have a go myself, but with mum's quilt to finish, and it being Spring here (ha! someone tell the weather that!), I'll be busy on the plot. Looking forward to seeing how you move forward with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a table runner is the way to go and I'll pop into your garden blog at some time to see what you are up to. I can't help myself with working outside the box.

      Delete
  3. I love the colors you selected on your CC block Susan. They are just so rich!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often get dates mixed up, I've taken to writing things down now. Glad you still enjoyed your day in Melbourne though. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear the much needed rain has arrived. And I love your Country Charmer block! It is gorgeous made in those fabrics, with a perfect contrast so the colours leap off the page. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - those quilts are amazing!

    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki, glad to have you look at my blog.

      Delete