Tuesday 14 January 2014

BABY QUILT -- PART 3

OK,  this is a bit later than I thought, but I forgot to take photos of one the steps and had to cut and make another block.  Now the sewing machine is packed away again as we have people coming through for rental after we leave.  PAINFUL!!!!!!!

STEP ONE

You need to cut 3 strips across the width of the fabric (pale green), 3 7/8" wide, then cut these into 24 squares.
Next cut 2 strips across WOF (pinky/red), 7 1/2" wide and cut into 6 square.
This is enough for 12 6 1/2" flying geese blocks.

Draw a pencil line diagonally across the pale green squares.

 Pin 2 of the pale green squares to the larger pink square in opposite corners as shown above.

Next sew a 1/4" seam either side of the line drawn on the 2 small squares, as shown below.

We'll then cut straight down the  line as shown below, then carefully press triangles open.


Pin another small square to the corner and sew each side of the line again as shown below.  Do this to both halves.


Again cut along the drawn line and press the triangles open.


 Now we can trim the ears off and we have our finished flying geese unit.



 This one large square and 4 smaller ones will make four flying geese units and I've sewn two together to make a 6 1/2" square block.


Now we will sew a 4  6 1/2" plain squares to 3  flying  geese units to make a row as shown below.


I have made four of these rows.
  Nest installment will be next weekend.

The last week has been busy with viewings of the house for rental purposes and taking "Brute", our Morris Minor over to our daughters for a couple of weeks.  Brute doesn't like the hot weather, so it was best to get her over there before all these hot days arrived.  Today has been forecast as 40 deg, and the next 3 days all around the same, minus or plus a degree or two.  Next thing is to start packing again, although we've only unpacked the most necessary "stuff", along with a few books, DVD"s and CD's.  My sewing is all put away again already.  The machine on the end of the dining table probably wouldn't have gone down well for the viewings.
This post has been  a work in progress for the last week due to interruptions etc, so will publish it now, but must be back with another one on Thursday.  (a surprise!!!).

Take care all.
Susan.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't yet tried making flying geese this way but have to try it. It seems so efficient. Looking forward to the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always do my flying geese this way. I find it's very accurate, there's no waste, and I get 4 at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it's all go there with preparations for your move. it can't be easy in the heat you're having to endure at the moment. It's still quite mild here, though we got a frost at the weekend, there must be more colder weather to come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan your quilting is lovely. I'm afraid I dont have the time or patience to do any at the moment but I would dearly love to learn the art. It may be something to save to do when I retire! Hope you arent finding the heat too much, my son and grandchildren are staying indoors as much as they can. I find it hard to imagine the heat when we are shivering here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will put my Mom onto your blog too as she quilts, she was recently working on a big one in colonial colors, lucky for her she has a sewing room, as you need so much space. I will stick with the knitting! I bet you will be so glad when all of this moving is over and done with, take care in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen your method of flying geese several times but have not used it yet. It looks so simple. Thanks for sharing. You've inspired me to try it next time I have to add flying geese to a project. In fact perhaps I should design one especially.

    ReplyDelete