Saturday 4 January 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND BABY QUILT - PART 2

BIRTHDAY.
A very happy birthday to our youngest son who turned 36 today.  All of our 4 children have now had their birthdays and Xmas within 3 weeks, so none now till December.
Hope you have a lovely day J.  Here is a photo just for you.

Wondering where that biker is going.  Looks scary.


BABY QUILT - PART 2
Here are the next lot of instructions.



For this plain block we need to cut 4 strips 6 1/2" wide from the width of the fabric, then cut into 20  6 1/2" squares.  Put these aside for now.

I was going to start on the next block, but have forgotten to take some photos, so will have to come back later with it, as I need to post this today.

I had forgotten to mention yesterday that I am also knitting a jumper for myself, which I just do at night when I feel inclined.

My friend J, whom I've known since we moved to Warragul, came around last night with her crocheted ripple rug, which is absolutely lovely.  She has only just learned to crochet and has made such a wonderful job on it.  I'll make sure I get a photo.  I was having trouble comprehending some of the ripple patterns, and a friend of J's came up with one of her own and now I've made a start on that, as I have so much wool from my late Mum.(some of it already given away).  I've actually done two rows and finding it easy and relaxing.
Talking of friend J, we did the Dahlia quilt class together and I've already shown my quilt, but she said that she didn't take a photo of hers, but here they both are so you can see the different interpretation of the same pattern.  I have a photo, because I actually quilted it and let her have a go on the machine with some of the meandering.

J''s quilt.
My quilt.
Don't they look wonderfully different.  At least J finished hers the year it was made, and mine waited another 4+ years before it was finished.

Well hopefully I'll be back tomorrow with all the instructions for the next block.
Take care all and thanks for my last lot of comments.  I'm really slipping with the replies, but I love reading your comments.
Susan.


11 comments:

  1. Two beautiful dahlias. I've never tried that pattern, but maybe, one day ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I do have the templates!!!!! Using the small rotary cutter makes the curves easy to manipulate.

      Delete
  2. I love ripple afghans, too, and love to crochet. I stopped for awhile because the hospital I donate them to didn't seem to need them, but I'm itching to start again. The dahlia quilts are gorgeous. Beautiful flowers and beautiful quilted interpretations. When you look at quilts together like that you can really see how choosing the fabric is an art in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The different colourations are great and why I love to try my hand at so many things. I'm having fun so far with the ripple rug and have now done nearly 4 rows and when it's a bit bigger I'll take a photo.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in and I enjoy your blog and some of your beautiful photography, especially in the Dales.

      Delete
  4. What a busy time you've had, all those birthdays around the festive period, it must be one long party in your house. Such lovely quilts, it's fascinating to see peoples different interpretation of the same pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, it's not really busy as we all live so far and wide, but the telephone is good for all the phone calls we have to make.

      Delete
  5. Oh dear.. you have been on a blogging role and I need to catch up, lol!! Glad to see you are doing some sewing! I haven't yet... maybe next week?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have all our birthdays in Sept/Oct, so at least they are out of the way before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dahlia pattern is magnificent. You are very good at what you do! x

    ReplyDelete