Sunday 8 June 2014

LOCAL QUILT SHOW

Saturday saw us set out for Daylesford to see the Spa Quilter's show.  It was only small and held at the local primary school.  As you can tell from the name of the group, it was a "Spa" town, with mineral springs.  I posted about going there once for the Sunday markets.  It was a great little show with some lovely ladies who gave me a flyer and said if I was interested to come and visit one Thursday.  As it is some way from here and I'm still not driving far, they suggested hubby could go to the Mens' Shed which also meets on a Thursday.  He has thought about looking into these before, so in the near future we may see what happens.

This little quilt was called Cuppapillar and I thought so cute.  I could take photos for my own personal use, so please respect, but I just had to show.

There was a display of old machines,  and this hand held machine which was fascinating.  We were given a demonstration.

A display cabinet of toy machines.   Sorry about the light bouncing off the glass.
We had our homemade lunch, then wandered up and down the main street.  Must go on a weekday, as it was very busy and also a long weekend here in Oz, so tomorrow is another day off for most people.

A funny little story for you.  My GD Little E rang during the week and Pop answered the phone, spoke to her, then DS J, then she asked to speak to me.  Asked if we were coming to see them this weekend, but as they live in Canberra, 8-10 hours away, I said no, we were coming in a few weeks. (don't travel over holiday weekends if we can help it).  She then asked what I was doing on the weekend and I replied that we were going to a quilt show.  Asked what is a quilt show, so explained as best as I could.  She then replied, that maybe I could learn to make one and show her.  I did grin from ear to ear and told her that I could already do that and I would bring one to show her.  Little does she know that she and her brother are getting one each.  I can tell you, that she has sat on a stool watching the big machine working, but that was last year and I suppose a five year old doesn't always remember these things.  Little ones, hey!

Saw this box in an antique shop and  would you believe, I had one of these as a child.  I think they came full of chocolates, but not sure where I got mine from.

The little town of Myrniong with it's imposing sign.


These three Eastern Rosellas were nibbling on seed this morning in my standard silver birch.  You can see the bottom one with the seed in his claw.  I took the photo through the window, otherwise they would have flown away.

Aha, I have been quilting this today.  I will show a better photo once off the machine, but it was made around 1995/6, so will tell the story about it later.

My hanging pot flowering again, although it is winter.

And last, what am I going to do with this fabric?  You will have to wait and see.  I also have fabric put aside to do another test pattern for Sue, so will be busy over the next week or so.

Will post this now and hope everyone out there in Blogland are having a great weekend.
Take care all.
Susan.

6 comments:

  1. I love that first quilt, the Cuppapillar. The story about your granddaughter is great. Little kids seem to have a refreshing outlook on life don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky grandchildren, being the recipients of your amazing talents! Your hanging basket is looking really pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cuppapillar is the sweetest I've seen in a while. I wonder if it's an original design by the maker. Love you granddaughter story. She's going to love her quilt. With your flowers and birds I think you live in wonderland. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a great time at the quilt show, it's always interesting chatting to people who share the same hobbies, and looking at their work too. Your grandaughter is going to be thrilled when she receives her quilt, something for her to cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isnt the cupapillar quilt amazing? What a brilliant idea! Your granddaughter will be really pleased to have her own quilt which will hopefully one day go on to become a family heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quilt you have in your long arm at the moment. I can't wait to see the finished result and read the background story. I wish I had colourful birds like your Rosellas in my garden. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete