Sunday 1 June 2014

NEW TOY

I have a new larger camera lens, that takes distance photos much better.  Yesterday hubby and I went for a walk along Lake Learmonth and I was able to take photos of the wind turbines on the far hills, which I tried once before and you couldn't make them out.  We had priced them before and they were more expensive than I thought, but Friday we popped into JB Hi-fi and found they were about half price, so came home with one.  Now I'll be able to show some better photos. (maybe!)  Some pics below taken around Learmonth.

Some of the wind turbines.

The lake is very low at the moment and the swans are waddling around the mudflats.

Incredibly fascinating fungi.  Lots of it on the cut down tree stumps.

Australian Magpies.
Today I tried to get down to some sewing, as I've been working with these scraps.  Not the best photo.


They are now becoming this!


Then a decision to be made on which fabric to use for the setting triangles.  Not sure whether it should be the stripey one on the left or the fluttery bits on the right.  Have you any ideas in blogland?  The teal blue will be a very narrow inner border and the colouful one the outer border.


I finished the peg bag.  The rick rack was a leftover and the lace is vintage, I think.  It was in my late Mum's stuff.


 This is my sewing corner.  My cutting table is to the left of where I was standing.  Not as big as the room I use for my Gammill, but I can overspill into there when I need to.


I was hoping to load another quilt onto my long arm system, but I made these instead.

One is now iced and will go with me tomorrow morning to Smythesdale Craft Group with the lovely Joy from Days filled with Joy.  I'm going to drive there myself, we hope.  Still not confident in the big black beast.

Lastly, a couple more photos from yesterday.

Hubby "leaning on the lamp post".

Somebody's back yard.  Don't you just love the pencils.  Reminded me of the large pencil at the Derwent Pencil Factory in Cumbria.

The old Masonic Lodge building,.

The path outside the above building.  Wouldn't it make the most wonderful quilt pattern.  I already have ideas.

This was going to be a quick post, but has taken longer than I thought.  I did take some photos of the churches in Learmonth, but one doesn't show very well,  and I also saw another one at the beginning of town, so will do those another day.  They are all so different.
Hope you've all had a great weekend and take care.
Till next time.
Susan.

13 comments:

  1. A longer lens certainly makes a difference to the photos you can take. I love using mine when we go to the local RSPB reserve, you need one otherwise the birds just look like specks on the lake. I like to see birds from other countries with the same name as British birds, they're different from those with the same name here, like the American robin. Your magpies are different too. I love the fabric you used for your pegbag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I think once I get used to all my different lens I'll be able to do a little better, though I'd really like some tuition. I think we must both like birds, by the sound of it.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, I seriously like the new scrappy quilt!!! Is it your own design? You are such a clever chooky!! I hope you bring it with you this morning, and don't worry, you and the big black beast will do fine - I'm cheering you on!!! Love all the other photos you took too :) See you in a few hours! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Joy, not my design but one of Sue's. The one I'm testing is called Red Sprinkles and much larger. Mine is just a bed runner.
      Love testing for Sue.

      Delete
  3. Your photos are lovely and clear Susan. I love the scrappy quilt on your wall and personally I think the fluttery fabric would be great in the setting triangles. The striped one would mean you'd have to fiddle around when cutting it so you had all the stripes going in the same direction - well that's what I'd have to do anyway. If your chocolate cake tastes half as good as it looks it's going to be yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky that you liked the fluttery fabric as that is what I used and like you say, I'd have had to cut extra side triangles to get the stripes all going the same way. (aren't we pathetic as that is how I envisaged it too). I'm going to call it Floral Confetti. The chocolate cake is a very old recipe and yes it is quite nice.

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan, somehow I have missed a few of your posts, so I had a catch up read. All your quilting looks nice, and your pictures too :) I would love a crafting room, instead it is all in baskets here and there, behind the couch is a good spot ;) Not keen on magpies that are alone, superstition I guess, one for sorrow, so two is good as its Joy. :) We have been getting a good few mushrooms in the garden, all the rain maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to have a room, but remember I have that enormous machine and now no children at home, as our eldest granddaughter will turn 18 this year. I still have a basket beside my chair with knitting and crochet and invariably a quilt over the couch being worked on for handsewing the binding, so I'm still pretty messy. Our magpies are very different to yours and we see them alone or pairs or even groups. I might do a post about their springtime terrorising. Take care.

      Delete
  5. It is good to have a big lens - I think when I got mine it was a combined birthday/Christmas present because of the cost! I too have been to the pencil museum (I have also been t a needle museum!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, a needle museum, now that sounds interesting. I've been to Stott's bobbin mill in the Lake District.

      Delete
  6. I love the path outside the Masonic building. I agree that it would make a lovely quilt block. You sound quite relaxed and well settled into your new home now. I'm really pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucie, I've already drawn the pattern on graph paper and it will need to be a small quilt, so now I have to find the fabric and time to put it together. I'm sort of getting there with the settling thing, I think.

      Delete
  7. I'm playing catch-up too, Susan, cause I've not been getting your posts at all and will have to see what I can do to rectify that problem. I'm really enjoying your pics with your new lens, your news, and all the gorgeous quilt work. I also like the hanger you have on your wall for your thread spools - that is so handy, did you buy it locally?
    I was sorry to read that you recently lost your Dad and hope that things are settling down and you are doing okay - sad times are difficult to bear and losing one's parents' is such a wrench - I extend my sympathies to you and loved ones. xoJoy

    ReplyDelete