Saturday 28 June 2014

WEEKEND POST NO. 1

AN ICY BLAST.

Wow, the weather over the last week has been decidedly wintry with the wind blowing from the Antarctic and quite a bit of rain.  We had been experiencing a mild start to winter.  There has even been snow and blizzards in the Alpine regions of Victoria.  Today, here in Ballarat the temperature was supposed to reach 8deg.  I've hardly stepped outside and the wind has even brought down some trees on the reserve over the road.

Black wattle with broken branches.
I want to thank everyone for comments on my last post and sorry I didn't reply to them.  This post has been very hard to think about and write, but we've been to Sydney for a week as my dear elderly father passed away on 16th June.  He had advanced dementia and was very frail, and I'm the one who had to make all the arrangements as my only sibling, my younger brother who is intellectually disabled is unable to do these things.  I will leave it at that.

TAKING TIME OUT

We had one day spare whilst away and decided to visit my cousin in Wollongong, which is a large coastal city, just south of Sydney.  We'd not seen each other for several years.  The scenic route along the coast was the one we chose.  Heading south we travelled through The Royal National Park (Australia's first National park) and then down via the Sea Bridge, which is part of the new road  that follows the coast after many landslips in years gone by.  I grew up knowing these areas very well and enjoyed the day as we'd not been down for a long time.  Some photos follow.

These are what we call Gymea lilies.  I do not know their botanical name I'm afraid.

Closeup of flower.

The Sea Bridge from the lookout at Stanwell Tops where we ate our lunch.  This is the spot where hang gliders take off.  Scary!

Looking down onto Stanwell Park beach.

These Rosellas, which didn't seem to be either the Crimson or Eastern variety were quite tame.  I called them the Mottley Bunch.

Looking back to the bridge from another viewing point.

Now this looks like a photo of the sea!!!!  Well, about mid picture on the right is a whale, but it went under just as I took the photo.  There were three and they even spouted water whilst we were watching.  They are on their annual migration to warmer waters during our winter before returning to Antarctic waters for summer.

One more photo for a few of my blogpals who have pet dogs.  This one belongs to my cousin and she is adorable.  Her name is Ellie and she is still a pup.



I am tired tonight, so will leave it at that and post about our weekend on the way home in Canberra with our youngest son and his family and what I've been up to with my quilting tomorrow, hence the name of this post.
Lots to tell, and am now off to try and finish handsewing the binding on Macy's quilt.
Have a lovely weekend all and take care.
Susan.

6 comments:

  1. I hope the funeral went well, as well as these things can, and that you managed to get everything sorted out. That visit with your cousin is just what you need at a time like this, it's good to be with family, and the place looks so beautiful. Imagine seeing whales, how fantastic, and of course, little Ellie is a beauty. Cavaliers are wonderful dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All went well and I'm trying to settle back down. Thought you may like to see Ellie. I love all sorts of spaniels.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry for the loss of your father and hope you are managing well. I do love seeing the exotic and beautiful plants and creatures of Australia that you share. The height of the lily is amazing, as well as the views from the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna and yes I'm OK. I try to post natives of Oz, as I'm sure some find it quite interesting, as I try to make my blog varied and not just about my quilting, as there is a lot more to our lives than that.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry about your father, I hope the funeral went as well as it could. I'm not sure I like the look of that bridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue all went well and I think I'm OK. The bridge is fine and solid, but looks spectacular from a distance.

      Delete