Thursday 7 August 2014

FLOWERS, BIRDS, QUILTS.

Just a quick update on what has been happening in our part of the world.
I've been busy with sewing and usual mundane housework, but on a brighter note we've had slightly warmer days, so got out and about yesterday.  Went for a lovely walk along the lake edge and then over to the Botanical Gardens Glasshouse, took some photos and had a coffee.

An orchid sitting on the front counter with the weest flowers.

Cinerarias, ornamental cabbages,cyclamen and standard trees.

The indoor fountain.

More cinerarias, cyclamen and primulas.

Some very pretty umbrellas which are for sale.
I also took a couple of photos of two quilts amongst the beautiful blooms.  Pa's garden you have already seen quilted, but Cat Flaps has just come off the machine.

Cat Flaps

Pa's Garden.
Whilst walking along the Lake, we saw many different birds.  They were out and about everywhere.

Moorhen, black swan and a white ibis.

Purple swamphen.

One lonely pelican.  I couldn't see any others around at all.
Along with these photos, I could also see magpies, corellas, seagulls and ducks.
The walk around the Lake takes you past many different areas.

Bare trees.

Wattle, now in flower.

A very English looking house.  I do like.

The adventure playground.
And lastly, the newly refurbished monument to the 1956 Olympics.  Lake Wendouree was created for the rowing events.  My dear Dad worked here as a Telegraphist, sending messages all round the world of the winners and news of these wonderful games.  I was only seven at the time and was in awe of the whole thing.
I've still got the souvenir handkerchief he brought home for me.


All for now and hopefully will catch up again over the weekend.
Take care.   Susan.

9 comments:

  1. It certainly looks better weather than it did in your last post. I love that cat flaps quilt, such gorgeous fabric with all the cats on it. Wow, a pelican on the lake, how common are they? How wonderful that your dad was involved with the olympics, that's something very special indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. This particular pelican is native to Oz and you often see quite big gatherings of them especially on the coast around the fishing boats. I think I showed them before on another post. They also go to the outback lakes when they are full and can be quite a sight along with other birdlife.

      Delete
  2. You see some fascinating things on your walks. What a beautiful area. I love both of the quilts; they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. I love walking in beautiful places, but also love taking photos
      You've probably noticed both those quilts are Sue's test patterns.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pics again Susan, and what lovely interludes you have, surrounded by beauty and colour. I snapped (was going to say 'shot' but thought better of it) a pair of those birds in the park the other day but didn't actually know they were called swamp hens, so thank you for that:) Joyxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I have a great bird identification book, I use on a regular basis and they are in your part of Oz too.

      Delete
  4. There were some lovely flowers on your walk. I love how you quilted Cat Flaps, and noticed how well the border co-ordinated with the flowers behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, glad you liked what I did. It's to be a gift for someone I've known for about 14 years. The flowers did look good behind them and I love to take my quilts to the glasshouse and photograph them.

      Delete
  5. I love both your quilts. They're beautifully quilted Susan. I hope you enjoy your stay in the UK.

    ReplyDelete