Saturday 8 November 2014

THE LAKES Part 2

After arriving in Keswick, we did some much needed washing, explored the town and settled in for a night of rest.

Next day we headed out for a garden, only to find it wasn't open every day, so visited the Lakeland Motor Museum at Newby Bridge.  Some great transport items on display as well as Donald Campbell's Bluedbird.  Just a taster.

Isn't she a beauty.

This is cute.

What was someone thinking!!

What every little boy dreams of.

The view from the coffee shop deck.
Woops, one I forgot.  Hubby rode one similar to this whilst a butcher boy doing deliveries after school, between the ages of 13 and 16, which would probably be a no-no these days.


Next morning we went for a lovely walk from the B & B up to Castlerigg Stone Circle and although a bit misty, I did get some lovely photos.

A misty view.

The stone circle.
After our walk we set out for a leisurely, if somewhat scary (at times) drive, as we'd been invited out for afternoon tea and the weather was being a bit unpredictable.  First we drove up to Ashness Bridge, then a little further up the road, we found a wonderful view point, where I was supposed to be able to see 2 lakes, but it was too misty to see the farthest one.

Ashness Bridge.

The view down to Derwentwater.

Looking the other way, I should have been able to see Bassenthwaite Lake as well, but just look at that misty rain.
We left here to head over Whinlatter Pass where we had lunch at the National Park Visitor Centre and got thoroughly soaked going from the car to the cafe.  After lunch we drove on and took the road over Honister Pass where there is a slate mine.  This is the most amazing bleak countryside, but so beautiful in its own right.

Definitely no vegetation on this mountain.

The road disappearing into the distance from near the mine site. Notice the weather!
Next we headed towards our destination for afternoon tea and the rewards were great.  A friend I'd never met, but who started me on my blogging journey made us so welcome.  Her garden is lovely and I forgot to take any photos, as we chatted on about our loves of gardening, quilting and putting the world to rights.  All too soon our visit was over and we headed home.  But oh, wait, there is a photo.

OK, I know, that is me.  But who is that trying to be ever so friendly.  Why that is "Daisy".  Some people weren't sure about having their photos put on my blog, so I've been good and obeyed, but couldn't help myself with this one.  Thanks to you know who for a lovely afternoon.

Just a quick catchup with few odd photos from around here, being some flowers from the garden, although it's looking very wilted this afternoon after a hot and windy day, so will leave photographing that  for another day.  I also had a rearrangement in the sewing room.  I do think it is working better.

This was on the opposite wall, where I have now put my cutting table.

Daises and succulent flowers.

2 different roses and I don't know what they are, as they were here in the garden when we moved in.

Sewing table now straight and easier to access for getting up to use the ironing board and cutting table.  The cushion on my chair came home with me from UK as just the cover.  I used it in the car so I could see out the window.  After I bough it at a great sale price, I realised it came from a Kirstie Allsopp collection.  Hadn't noticed till I showed my niece.  I am a bit of a fan. (don't laugh, I am a bit odd).

I'll finish up for now and the next instalment will probably be early next week.  We still have a way to go with some great photos, but till next time, take care.
Susan.

10 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with being a fan of someone! I am a fan of your lake district photos that is for sure!! How great that you got to meet up with your blogging pal too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, glad you're enjoying the photos.

      Delete
  2. That old van has a lot of charm. Not very fuel efficient probably, but there's always a trade off. Your flowers are so pretty. Thanks for showing us such lovely images, including Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. Hubby loves old cars and bikes, & I'm more into flowers and animals, hence a good mixture.

      Delete
  3. Awww, it looks like Daisy's got a new best friend. I remember my brother having a toy ride-in car when he was little, nothing as lovely as those in the museum though, they're beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. Daisy was lovely, just like her owner. Our eldest always wanted a toy car, but we couldn't afford one, so he & his younger brother sort of built themselves a billy cart. BTW, did you get my email?

      Delete
  4. Susan, what a great post. I am sorry you had such rubbish weather during your visit to us.

    You've worded your blog beautifully, but it's OK, I'm not as freaked by 'the blogosphere'as I used to be so if you want to say where you were I won't mind :) You can even publish the uncropped picture if I don't look too much like Quasimodo!! I've only seen the one where Daisy hasn't started washing you!

    When are you coming back to England? I will NEVER get to Australia and you are right, our visit was over far too quickly and we haven't finished putting the world to rights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did post a reply Jayne, but it disappeared into cyber space, so I'll try again now. (a couple of days late). I must admit to having a few photos printed and of course I got the wrong one of us, so will have to go back again. I'd love to get a one way fare, but we'll see what happens in the future. Blogging will have to do for now.
      Take care.

      Delete
  5. I just can't believe how much you crammed in to your visit! And how lovely to be able to meet up with blogging friends, especially when you live so far apart. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved meeting some of my blogging friends and would have liked to meet a few more, but I'll just have to keep up with what you are all up to over the net. A few more posts will just about finish off our trip.

      Delete