Saturday 15 November 2014

TRYING TO CATCH UP




Where has this week gone!
I'm trying to think what on earth has been happening for the last week, but just seem to know I've been busy with one thing or another and not being organised enough to do a post, so here goes.
This will be in 2 parts:-  1.  Life in the now.
                                        2.  More holiday photos.

 What I've been working on.  This is a customer quilt which I brought back with me on our visit to Warragul.  My friend V, who had the heel reconstruction passed over 2 quilts to do, so she can get caught up when back on her feet properly, with her backlog.  Then, yesterday I had a phone call and now have another quilt to do for someone here in Ballarat.  Yeah, I've not done any for customers since before June last year.

BACK TO HOLIDAY SNAPS.
Views on the road between Keswick and Ambleside.

An old Police box.

The tiny cottage spanning a brook in Ambleside.  I think it was once a tollhouse.(Anybody can correct me on that, please.)

From Ambleside, we followed the road to Windemere, to Kendal, Hawes and Aysgarth by afternoon tea.  We ate our lunch on the way and I'm not sure where it was but a few of the pics are from our stop there.  I'll do my best at remembering where they might be.
Leaving the Lakes District behind.

This must be the viaduct at Garsdale Head.

Parking in a large graveled area beside the road, we ate our lunch and I took loads of photos, as the views were all around.

Another view.

And another with sunshine and shadow.


The National Park Visitor Centre for our loo and afternoon tea stop.
We then head for home (Leeds) for tea and a well earned good nights sleep to set out with our niece, her hubby and two children on Thursday afternoon for Blackpool.  They had decided on hubby's day off to go and see the Illuminations and invited us to go too.  I'd never quite seen anything like it before.  During the afternoon, we walked along the seafront to the Fun Pier and all the way back to have tea at a fish cafe.  Then the exciting part to see all the lights.  We travelled on this very colourful tram.

I'd left my camera in the car, so this is from Hubby's mobile.  Probably not the best pic.

Next two are what I took from the car on the way home.
Street light illuminations.

Now I am feeling chronically homesick and will leave it at that for today.  Still a few more outings to post about, along with lots of other things to catch up on.  Missing those people I met and all that wonderful scenery.
BTW, the weather here has been very up and down with some very warm and windy days and then today, it is only in the mid teens, so I'm back in warm clothers.  How crazy is that.  We'll pop out for a walk this afternoon, then I must get stuck into that quilt on the machine.  Hope to post with more holiday pics very soon (I mean it) as the next few will be something special.

Take care all.
Susan.

9 comments:

  1. I can't say I'm a lover of Blackpool, it's a bit busy for me, but we used to stay just along the coast at St Anne's when the kids were little in a hotel on the front. We used to go for a few weekends during the year including October half term when the lights were on, so we'd always go in to Blackpool to see them. The kids used to stick their heads up through the sun roof to look out. Happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd only been to Blackpool once before in 1991 when we brought the boys across and that was March/April, so no lights or anything, but it was a nice day out seeing the beach and the tower. The lights are certainly awesome, but not much else that took my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I notice in your pics is the lack of other people, which I would like if I were sight seeing. The countryside really does look quiet and peaceful. We're getting colder here, gloves and hat weather. I hope you enjoy your quilting work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is Joanna, I try not to post photos with other people in them. I'll admit it doesn't always work, but I try to be careful. We've had weird weather lately with quite hot, then nearly back to winter. Looks like we are in for a hot, dry summer with bushfires likely. Yuk!

      Delete
    2. Joanna, there are people here - lots of visitors because tourism is one of the most important parts of the area's economy. BUT, it is terribly easy to get away from the hotspots and find this sort of peace and quiet, even in the middle of summer.

      Susan - great pictures and yes, keep up the homesickness and get back here :}

      Delete
  4. Oh, it is wonderful seeing photos of an area that I love, you had lovely weather for them :) The little house is called Bridge House and is about 300 years old. It was thought to be an apple store, the building is now used as an information centre for the National Trust. Loving the quilt in the first photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love Yorkshire, Cumbria, Northumberland and the Peak District. Oh and Cornwall, but maybe I should just say the whole of the UK. Thanks for the info on Bridge House, it is so cute.

      Delete
  5. The little house is called bridge house, it is so lovely isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I visited it in 1991 also and I still love it.

      Delete