Saturday 29 November 2014

QUILT BORDERS ----- TUTORIAL

Silly me!   Gave someone a small kit with all the pieces cut, a picture of the quilt, but no instructions, so this is for her to do the border, but it may help others too.
I am going to try and explain how I put a simple plain border with cornerstones onto a quilt.  It is not necessarily the right or wrong way, but my way.

I have made a quilt that needs these borders, so will show with it.

First I measure through the middle of the quilt both vertically and horizontally.


I note down these measurements, then measure the top and bottom, note them, then measure the other two sides and also note these.  Being a square quilt, I was lucky that all the measurements were very close to 50 1/2".


I then cut 5 strips (3 1/2" wide for this particular quilt), across the width of my chosen fabric and joined these and cut it into strips measuring 50 1/2' each.  I also cut 4 squares 3 1/2" each to use for cornerstones.


Once this is all done, I take my first border piece and fold it in half and place a pin, then fold each end into this pin and place another 2 pins on the fold,so have 4 quarters marked.


Next I mark the top and bottom of the quilt in the same way and pin two of the border pieces, lining up all the pins, make sure it fits snuggly then sew together.



As the side borders need the cornerstones, these are sewn to each end of the other 2 border pieces, as shown below.


Then proceed to mark the quarters as above and sew to the sides.

Now you should have a pieced top with hopefully nice flat borders.  I do use a walking foot to sew these, but if you are careful and don't pull the top fabric, they should still lay flat, with the foot you usually use.  BTW, all my seam allowances are 1/4".
Finished top shown below.


Some of the photos are not the best, but the light is quite woeful in my sewing room for photography.
This quilt is on my new design wall.  I had to pin the top as it wouldn't stay up as it was too heavy and as I'm short I found it quite difficult to get it up there, so looks all wonky.
Hope this all makes sense, not too long winded and in laymen's terms.

Have a great weekend all and take care.
Susan.

11 comments:

  1. A great explanation and a very pretty quilt Susan. Thank you. Thank you too for your lovely comment on my blog today, you are always kind to visit and comment, but today you touched me especially. Thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I'm glad I now follow your blog and not sure how I did touch you, but it's funny how people seem to click even though we've never met. Take care.

      Delete
    2. I am just leaving a comment as you have them turned off on your newest post. I just wanted to say that I hope that things work out for you and that you are feeling more yourself again in the new year. I am sure that you have a lot to contribute on your blog and in real life too, and I hope that the new year will bring new friends and activities and lots of things for you to do and enjoy. Take care of yourself in the meantime and know that we will be here waiting for your return! Happy Christmas and New Year. xx

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this tutorial. I'll use this method on the next quilt. I usually just sew the strips down the sides. Your quilt is a great design; is it yours? I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm glad I helped somebody, as I wasn't sure how well I did with the explanation. I do procrastinate and have been going over it for about a month now. Yes it is one of my own design quilts and in the New Year, I hope to let everyone in on a secret. Glad you like it Joanna.

      Delete
  3. You make it all look and sound so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, once you know how and just take the time to learn and enjoy.

      Delete
  4. Lovely lovely work - I have a friend who is a quilting fiend and I am in awe of her work too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan - I've just read your more recent post and couldn't find the comment link, so am commenting here instead. I hope you're ok. Sometimes a change is a great idea and you come back refreshed and energised. I certainly think you have a lot to contribute to blogging! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey sweetie, just like Gillian I've come here to drop you a quick line because you disabled comments on your last post.

    Sorry, I'm on a laptop without email . . . wanted to apologise for not emailing today but we've been busy and I was up 19 hours yesterday so too tired to do everything!

    Sad to see things are getting you down at present; get through Christmas, and then in the New Year sit down quietly with your lovely man, take a deep breath, and make some decisions. It won't matter what you decide (stay or go) but once you've agreed on a plan you will have something to hang your hat on and focus on ...

    I'll write more in an email, just wanted to let you know that big storm pretty much passed us by (it thumped Scotland instead) and we are safe and well. Took Daisy to Crummock today, just three miles, much colder than last week but we had a lovely safe walk and all is well here.

    Take care, J. xx

    ReplyDelete