Thursday 6 November 2014

I AM STILL HERE!

OK, so I've been a bit quiet, but have slowly started catching up on all bits and pieces that constitute our lives.  Since I posted last, hubby had a small medical procedure, and the results came back fine.  The next week, we spent 3 days back in Warragul for me to see the dentist, catch up with friends, a wonderful massage and an afternoon having a walk along one of our favourite beaches, then a coffee.  We took our caravan across, which hasn't been used since we moved and lo and behold it had been leaking.  We dried it out and I've shampooed the carpet and will have to do it again.  This past week has seen us pop along to another steam rally at Lake Goldsmith and also babysat the grandkids on Tuesday,so it's been very busy.  Along with all that comes housework, gardening etc.  I'm also struggling with being torn between two countries, with family and friends in both, but so far apart, so bear with me as I try to be normal.
In this post, I'll try and do some catching up on our trip.

THE LAKES

We left Beamish (posted about before we flew back), and headed towards Carlisle, where we stayed the night.  Next morning we traveled across to Whitehaven, where we stayed for just one night.  A few of the highlights of the time in the area.

A section of Hadrian's Wall.

Views from said wall.

Disappearing into the distance.
Next are some photos of Whitehaven.

The church at Moresby, which was originally a Roman site.

Whitehaven Harbour.

One of the many "knot" sculptures.

Looking out to sea.
After sightseeing the area, we backtracked to Keswick, where we booked into a B & B, for the duration of our stay in this beautiful part of England.

Brookfield B&B Guest House.
It is the second one from the left.
I'd highly recommend this to anyone off to Keswick, as the service was great and the owner is a mine of information on the area.

As it is getting late and I'm tired and making lots of spelling mistakes, I'll leave it here for tonight and do some more catchup with our UK holiday over the weekend, before starting on what I've been sewing, baking and growing in the next few weeks.  I do have lots of sewing to do (baby quilt and a housewarming one on the list), and a veg patch to start planting up.  Also, I do believe Xmas is on the horizon!!!  Must go before I fall to sleep at the keyboard.
Till next time, take care.
Susan.

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you're starting to catch up and that you're settling back in to normal life again after your trip. Also, pleased to hear that hubby's results came back fine. I visited Northumberland and Hadrian's Wall when I was at school, well over thirty years ago now, but it's somewhere I've never been back to, though it's on my list, as so many places are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I love the Lakes District and would love to spend more time there exploring, along with Northumberland as my paternal ancestors are from around Alston. I've my many places on my wishlist also.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you back blogging too!

    Jayne has a wonderful photo from a couple of years ago which shows Whitehaven Harbour completely frozen over - http://theviewfrombagend.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/local-tourist-whitehaven-harbour.html
    Hadrian's Wall is impressive - looks as if it could be a bit of a bleak posting if you were a Centurian more used to the Italian climate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel. Will look at that photo when I've spare time (giggle). The wall is impressive and I'd love to explore more.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're settling back into life at home, it's sometimes hard to readjust, especially after such a big trip. Your life sounds busy! Great to see some photos of Hadrian's wall, I'd love to go back there. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. I'm not exactly settling, but trying. Seems like Hadrian's wall is a must for most people and you all want to go back!

      Delete
  4. How familiar that all looks :} Don't forget your trip to Bag End - it was so good to meet you both, thank you for giving up some of your holiday to visit us.

    Hazel - thanks for remembering that photo.

    Hadrian's Wall - Daisy and I were there recently, photos buried under blog-lag :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne, how could I ever forget Bag End. Such a lovely way to spend an afternoon, with that someone who started me on my blogging journey. More to come about The Lakes later today. Take care.

      Delete
  5. I don't think you work for the internet so being quiet is your privilege. And just one of your vacation posts is like something published in a periodical; you should be writing a travel column. I'd like to sit near that harbor and just enjoy the view; what a lovely spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. Not sure I could write a travel column, as I make too many mistakes and I think my punctuation is not up to scratch. I'd love to finish writing my quilting book though, and am putting a deadline on it by June next year(lol).

      Delete
  6. I think we may have stayed in this B& B many years ago pre number 3 or just after. Keswick is certainly a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Keswick is lovely and one night we walked into town to have our meal, along the old railway line which was great. Next post I'll show our walk one morning.

      Delete
  7. I love the Lake District, I think that it is one of my favourite places in the world! Glad that all is well with you and that your hubby's results were good. I hope that your dentist visit was equally OK. xx

    ReplyDelete