Wednesday 8 June 2016

A "QUILTY" POST.

Not much has been happening here as the weather has turned cold, overcast and a little wet and we've been hunkered down inside most of the time.
The east coast of New South Wales, parts of north east Victoria and Tasmania have suffered terrible rain, wind and king tides, with extensive damage and floods.  My heart goes out to those who have suffered through these storms.  Coming from Sydney myself, I know a lot of these places and also Tasmania, as we lived there for many years too.  

Now onto how I've been amusing myself inside.
I'm not sure that this quilt has ever made it onto my blog.  I made it many years ago in a class with my friend Val teaching it.  As from the class sample, you'll be able to see the flowers were large and blowsy and when I turned up with my fabric, two ladies commented that I couldn't use it, so that made me all the more determined (being me), and I ended up with the centre, then it sat whilst I thought what to do with it.  I designed the borders and again it sat waiting for the right time to quilt it.  I knew I wanted to custom quilt and "finally" it is all done.

My version the quilt below.

Val' class sample.
I showed a portion of the quilt below on my last post.  All bound now and finished.  The setting of these blocks is my own, although the block is a traditional one and with a wacky pieced back.

Hunter's Star front,

and back.
The fifth shop quilt off the machine, handed over and given another THREE.  Oh well, that's some more money for the piggy bank.
Another horsey quilt.

This is my embroidery quilt which is now on the machine.  I showed this one some time ago,  and am now trying to give it a "good" custom job.  I really want to get it done before I start the next lot from the shop.  She has heaps, she says.   The ribbon frame is by Naomi Hynes, a digital designer from here in Melbourne.

Empire State block by Judy Martin.
I've been trying to work on this block, but it isn't working for me, and the measurements just don't seem to go.  Never had any trouble with Judy's blocks before, so am reviewing what I've done wrong.
I've been a big fan of Judy Martin since I purchased my second ever quilt book (probably around the mid 80's), and now have many by this designer.  I even have a few photos of quilts I've made from her books on her website.

OK, this post has only my quilting this week, but hopefully over the coming weekend we'll be out and about and able use the camera.   I also need to find some photos for the June Scavenger Hunt.
I've a few in mind if the weather is good.
Hope everyone is having a good week.
Take care all, Susan.











8 comments:

  1. You are so clever and creative, absolutely beautiful quilts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all beautiful but I particularly like the first one. Good for you for showing them it could be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I thought you'd like that one.

      Delete
  3. Your "big fabric" works really well so 'ya boo sucks' to those ladies!

    We should swap weather, it has not rained here for nearly five weeks - unheard of! Just spent two hours in the garden watering, something I hate having to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. I hate being told you can't use certain types of fabric. Think I told about another similar incident on my blog too.
      As for rain, why is it that you can get gallons in one hit and then none for a period of time, as happened to you this last year. Robertson in NSW had 600+mls in a day, which we'll be lucky to get for the whole of this year, the way it's looking. I suppose that's weather for you.

      Delete
  4. The sample from the class you took is nice, but I genuinely prefer yours!! Shucks to those ladies who didn't think your fabric would work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. Val's quilt is lovely, but sometimes I just try and use fabric from my stash, as having been quilting for nearly 40 years, I have plenty and do still add bits (not much these days unless I need it), so have been trying to use up lots for the last ten years.

      Delete