Monday 24 October 2016

FOUNTAINS ABBEY & STUDLEY ROYAL.

First I'd like to thank all who left comments on my last post.  With ongoing computer issues & not settling well after our trip, I've just been catching up with other blogs and leaving comments there.
Why our i'net providers can't leave well enough alone, I'll never know!
Onto a couple of wonderful days out.

DAY ONE.

We visited Fountains one day, then told S-I-L and she remarked we hadn't taken her, so we went again another day.  This particular day we just visited the abbey and grounds.





As you can see the ruins are beautiful.  Again I didn't take many photos.

DAY TWO.

This day we we started at the Studley Royal end, had a cuppa at the cafe and were about to start our wandering, when at a nearby table we overheard a conversation by some of the volunteers, who then said hello to us as we went by.  I remarked, as she told her co-workers that she'd baked them some Anzac Biscuits and offered them to us to try too.  As she went to explain what they were, I said I knew, as I was Australian and also baked them at home.  She then asked if she'd got the recipe correct, which she had.  As we'd just eaten, we didn't try, but we all had a good laugh about me passing at that moment.
The lovely lakes.

The Octagon Tower.

The Temple of Fame.

View down to Abbey.

Church of St. Mary the Virgin stands at the highest point of the Deer Par, though we didn't see any deer.
Now for something unforgettable.

This chandelier is in the Banqueting House and is only on display 'sometimes', but is definitely worth seeing.
It is lit by strobe lighting and is quite amazing when set in motion.  I am not going to try and explain, but if you get the chance ,try to see when it is open for viewing.  I'll tell that this space was also used for more than just dining.  Ummm!
OK, just a short post, trying to catch up on our holiday bits.  I'll probably be here again on Friday with our Scavenger Hunt Photos, so all have a great week and take care.
Susan.

12 comments:

  1. I must admit to really enjoying my visit to Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal, I had never been before and was treated to the day courtesy of the National Trust (they are very good to their volunteers). I would probably take several days to see all of the site properly but we spent a very full and tiring 6 hours seeing as much as we could. You look to have had nice weather for it too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hawthorn. Wow, they are good. 6 hours is a long time, and I think that we've been about 4 or 5 times now, but I don't think I've seen it all. Not done the 7 bridges walk, which sounds really good. Did you see the chandelier?

      Delete
  2. Do you realise you live the other side of the globe and have seen so many beautiful places that I have not yet visited which are not really that far from here . . . my bad :) Looks like a super couple of visits, I know how much you enjoy wandering around these lovely green spaces. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. You've so much history, gorgeous gardens, buildings & spectacular scenery, that you've yet to explore & I've hardly scratched the surface myself. New van means getting out there! (giggle).

      Delete
  3. It's years since I've been to Fountains Abbey but it's somewhere that both Daniel and Eleanor went with school as part of their controlled History assessments for their GCSEs. Schoolchildren are so lucky to have these wonderful places to visit on trips. It looks like you chose days with good weather for your days out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo and it's dog friendly too, on a lead. We saw quite few people with canines in tow & it's just so beautiful. I'd love to do the seven bridges walk.

      Delete
  4. Never been to either of these, must try! Love the chandelier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, I enjoy your travelogue. Very thought provoking seeing those ruins; the things we build today don't compare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna, & I agree about our buildings of today too, though occasionally something catches my imagination. They certainly knew how to build & embellish without all our cutting edge tools, equipment, etc.

      Delete
  6. I love old ruins... makes me imagine what it was like before when it was new and in use... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, I do too. I wander amongst them, wondering about what they were doing in a particular spot or why they used this bit. I just love it.

      Delete