Tuesday 28 March 2017

JUST BITS!

March seems to be galloping on by at a very quick pace.  Before we know, it will be April and really into Autumn as our clocks go back on Sunday.

A bit of catching up in this post on the garden, craft, oh and a little shopping. (needed!!).

GARDEN.

Julia's Rose with lots of buds & a few flowers on Saturday afternoon.
Next day after it being so hot, so many out & some nearly gone over very quickly.
A closeuip of flower & bud.
She is an unusual colour & more so in autumn & I've grown her in most of my gardens.
A closeup of Fiona's Wish which smells heavenly & very sweet.
I only have 3 roses in this garden, which we've planted, but the soil is so hard & poor I wonder how they survive.
The steps awaiting some concreting and so much wider than they were.  Now the weather is cooling (a little), we should be able to make a start on them.  One step at a time.
OK, roundup of garden done.  I must put on some photos of above steps, as they were when we moved here.  Slowly, slowly we go.

I forgot about this photo of a small stick sort of beastie we found under the blueberry netting.
He hopped on my hand & I took him for a walk over to the garden, where he hopped off onto our mesh on the verandah.
CRAFT.

I've done two more blocks for the little quilt I've named after Miss AL.

Four of these.

Four of these also.
I know!
I am keeping you guessing.

SHOPPING.

Off to Spotlight we headed yesterday to purchase either a flannelette sheet or fabric for my large design wall, which I made ages ago & has been a complete disaster.  In the end I bought 2.2 metre, & should be able to cover the 2 pieces of thin board & this time know that the blocks will actually cling to it.  I have a small board with a lightweight batting that is very old & great, but doesn't fit a larger quilt, when I'm working on it.  The lightweight batting I purchased for the big one has never worked, so , hopefully this one is a success.

But what else hopped into the bag?  A ruler I'd never seen before, which is to use on jelly roll strips,
a large stitch counter to go on thicker needles when I'm knitting and a magazine.  I'm not sure whether they were having a sale or what, as I'd noted the prices of each thing & when she rang them up, the ruler was was cheaper, as was the fabric & the magazine is marked as $9.99, but scanned as $7. so I definitely came away with a few bargains.

This lot came from IKEA.  It is not too far from where we were and I love wandering around & looking at all their little room settings and gathering up ideas.  Hubby hates it, but indulges me every so often.  I could have bought lots more, but I'd been looking for candles when the Photo Hunt words came up & couldn't find any, so when I found these pink ones, I couldn't resist.
The clock was all of $2.49 (only plastic), which I intend to pretty up & hang in the sewing room, so hubby can have his old one back in the woodworking shed.
The little pot is just pretty & once again I couldn't resist.

That was just a quick catchup and I'll be back with more at the end of the week,as I'm joining in with Joy from Days filled with Joy and her monthly FINISHING STITCHES.  Trying to beat the UFO pile down and for me, stash busting as well.
Take care all & enjoy the rest of the week.
Huggles Susan.

12 comments:

  1. Your roses are such delicious colours, and I wondered if your wee green beastie was a praying mantis? Keep well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate & yes it was a praying mantis, but wasn't sure if they had them in northern hemisphere & you wouldn't know what it was. Also the spelling had me stumped as I thought it might be preying? I showed a huge stick insect in one of my very early posts. Just love insects & wish they'd stay still enough to take more photos, as we have a lot of dragonflies at the moment, but can't get a good pic.

      Delete
  2. That's an interesting shape of ruler... I wonder how it will work? Mike must have been feeling very indulgent if you squeezed in a fabric shop AND IKEA in the same day!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I have a few spare moments (yeah), I'll show how the ruler works on my blog. It does come with "some" instructions. K knows me well after 40+ years & quilting for nearly as long, but our Spotlight stores sell furnishings, fabric, wool, craft bits, bedlinen, towels, kids party needs & kitchenalia and probably stuff I've not mentioned.

      Delete
  3. your steps look good, and love your ikea purchases, missed you on the weekend, next one planned, will add to the blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy & the steps weren't good, but we sort of use them now to compact the soil a bit before we start with the cement. I'm coming next time, really.

      Delete
  4. I'd have had a fit if that insect had jumped on my hand, urgh! You're braver than me. Your roses are gorgeous, especially that first one, it's such a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They won't hurt & I must have been my mother's worst nightmare with showing her bugs, grubs etc. She was petrified of them, even birds. I've always been fascinated with insects, "except" spiders, which I'm very scared of.

      Delete
  5. Your roses are just beautiful. Your bug looks like a praying mantis, one of the good bugs. I love to watch them if I can spot one; they blend in so well. That's an interesting ruler; I haven't seen one like that and probably wouldn't know how to use it. I like your blocks; nice fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. Yes it a praying mantis & I told Kate about that in top comment. I'm also going to show what the ruler does in a later post. Some of the fabric in those blocks is quite old, but I'm both stash/scrap busting at the moment & doing a lot of my own designs, which I'm also going to do a post about.

      Delete
  6. I have a few of those pretty pink pots from Ikea too :) Miss Al's quilt is looking very interesting!! I saw that ruler at Spotlight.. and resisted.. sigh... thought I'd better use a few of my other ones first! LOL! But if you make something awesome from it then I may need to get one after all! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been to IKEA for months but may go soon. Good luck with the stash busting as mine never seems to go down!!

    ReplyDelete