Friday 28 July 2017

JULY PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT.

Linking up with Kate for the July word hunt.

This month seemed difficult, but once I set my mind to it, I found way too many for some words.
Here we go......

1.  CRANE.
Cranes in the port of Harwich.  This is one word I found quite a few pics for, but went for this one hoping it would be a little different.

2.  RING.
When we lived on the other side of town at No. 4, the grandchildren used to call these daffodils around the silver birches "THE FAIRY RING"

3.  SET.
This word has so many meanings, it is not 'funny'.  In the end, I went to the dictionary for ideas and found that as a verb, it has 18 meanings, as an adjective, 5, and as a noun, 11.  Some of these, even have a few connotations of their own too.
This is the noun, (8), --a session of jazz or rock music, usually followed by intermission, or the music played during such a session.
So these little fellas are at the Goulburn Caravan Park (NSW) where we've stayed a few times over the years and I'm quite sure they'd be playing a Jazz SET.

4.  LIGHT.
The Illiminations in Blackpool (UK) where we went one year with our niece and her family.  I was very taken with the trouble they go to, to put this on each year and thought it quite amazing.  I did love this photo I took (it was hard to take good pics), with crown and chandeliers.

5.  BOW.
The bow of a huge ship with helicopter pad looming out of the mist in Blyth (UK again).  This is a cable laying ship which was docked and I expect picking up cable from the area, as we also saw a large yard where I think, they must make it. It was huge.
I remember seeing a cable laying ship in Sydney as a child, which we were lucky enough to be shown around as my Dad used to work for OTC, an Australian communications company.

6.  SPRING.
Springer and his mate.  Hubby made these 2 doggies many years ago from the springs he replaced in one of our cars.  The one of the left is DD's and the one on the right belongs to us.  Think I have posted these before, but just the thing for this word.

7.  OPEN.
An "open"-cut coal mine in the Latrobe Valley here in Victoria east of where we live.  I'm not a big fan of coal-fired power stations, but this is the world we live in and as long as we try and better our use of resources, it stays for the time being.

8.  GRAND.
Our first "grand" child aged about 18 months (I think) sporting the latest fashion, a tupperware bowl hat.😊  This little girl, is now a young lady who will be 21 in November.  Yikes!!!!!!

9.  PARK.
OK, probably not the most obscure use for this word, but this is the oddest colour for a lyrebird, a rather shy native bird which is often seen flashing through trees in southern rain forest areas.
It stands at the entrance to a fun park just west of here on the highway to Melbourne.  Many years ago, someone put some firecrackers up it's rear end and it looked quite sad until they resurrected it. Now the park is undergoing a, wait for it...... $50 million dollar refurbishment.  We've never been, so may make that an outing once it is completed.  More photos opportunities?
I just grabbed this photo of a lyrebird off the internet so everyone can see what they really look like. I've never been quick enough to get a proper photo, so hope I'm not doing anything too naughty.

10. MY OWN CHOICE.
Hellebores in flower along the back fence.  Hubby took this photo yesterday while I was at the Quilt Show.  Aren't they 'gorgeous'.  I'll try and do a post soon as the garden comes back to life, though a few things have succumbed to the heavy frosts.  I saw a quick news item, that Australia is having it's coldest and driest winter for a long time.  Even though dry, it's been very overcast.

OK my hunt done and not as early as I'd planned.  Can I actually say this, but I was knackered, OK pooped last night and even dozed off a few times in the front of TV after my day out.  I never do that.
Have a great weekend all and I'm off to link this up.
Take care and huggles,  Susan.

21 comments:

  1. Love the photo of your grandson, they grow so quickly......... Love the "spring" dogs and the jazz band

    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan - brilliant selection - love it :) Set and spring both made me giggle - love your versions :) I did wonder if your lyre bird had been painted in the colours of an ornamental pheasant - the gold pheasant - have a look and you see what I mean.
    Don't forget to link in (if you had done already - my apologies but the link up failed and I have had to insert a new one so you will need to add your details again)xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, glad I made you giggle, though you can tell Eldest, this was his hardest, with too many choices, so hope he is joining in too. I'll have a look at the gold pheasant, but if you look at the photo under the "park" photo, it is similar & I've been told that's what it is. I've linked up again. Enjoy the weekend & take care.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos and all so interesting. Aren't Blackpool Illuminations amazing? I have happy memories of driving down the front with the sun roof open so the kids could stand up and see out. Don't worry, you literally crawl along when the illuminations are on so it wasn't dangerous. Love those springy dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I'd heard about them from K for years, so was glad to see them at last. Springer is the closest thing I have for a pet at the moment. Have a good weekend & take care.

      Delete
  4. I've enjoyed your pics again this month, especially the jazz group. And I'm glad to see your bow is pointy like they should be, :) So many great photos.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana. Seems like my ants are a big hit.

      Delete
  5. What an interesting set of photographs this month. Your ant orchestra picture is terrific - I clicked on it to make it full size. Love it. Frightening how quickly grandchildren grow up. Bet she would not be photographed with a Tupperware hat on these days! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Yes all the grandies are growing up too quick and 9 out of the 11 are taller than me now. The 2 nearly 10 year-old's are fast approaching though.

      Delete
  6. Super photos again, we used to visit my parents who lived near Blackpool (where I was born)so the children used to love going " when the lights were on". I think my favourite has to be the springy dogs though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb. Hubby used to talk bout the lights & I finally went in 2014.

      Delete
  7. Well done for thinking outside the box. I just kept smiling as I looked at each photo and read about it. I too have a dark coloured hellebore and enjoy it when it flowers, in about 8 months' time! I never thought of bow of a ship, and I have plenty of boat pictures too! I must think harder (weirder perhaps?). Best photo is the set one; what a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. This month's words each had so many meanings, so I went to the dictionary for some when I couldn't make up my mind. The ants are popular.

      Delete
  8. You have some great pics there .The Jazz set is very clever! I love your springy cats the best.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza. I've just been catching up on the other Hunters & this month has blown me away.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for your kind comment on my scavenger post :)

    You have some great photos too - I like your 'bow' and those spring dogs are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was quick & you must be up late as I know what time it is there. Thanks for popping in & hasn't it been a great hunt. Night, night to you & I'm just enjoying brekky & ready for a day out.(giggle)

      Delete
  10. Great finds! Love your husbands doggies!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great interpretations of the words. Those huge ships always fascinate me. My favourite has to be the Springer dogs! I can definitely relate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your springs :). Clever K. !! I like the one on the left - reminds me of Daisy

    ReplyDelete