Thursday 17 December 2015

HOT, HOT, HOT!!!!!!!

Wow, was it hot today.  Approximately 37 deg.  It is about to be the same tomorrow, 41 on Saturday and 35 on Sunday, with hopefully a cool change later in the day.  We are on total fire ban for the next 2 days and it is very, very dry, as we've had so little rain this year.
I've not got a much to tell at the moment, though I have been sewing, writing on cards and just generally catching up with all sorts.  We've picked a "LOT" of blueberries  which I've been giving to neighbours, friends and freezing for ourselves, as well as eating them nearly every morning on my porridge.  We also had some beans tonight, but they aren't as good as we've grown before.

I've filled this colander, probably at least 4 times so far.

Picked a few flowers from the garden and placed them in this bottle (one of my favourites) for the kitchen counter.  Not much flowering at the moment, as it has been so dry.


Buddleia and something else?
Last week I was fighting with a quilt on the machine and having computer problems with the pattern. Well I more or less sorted it and the quilt is finally off the machine and another ready to go on.  Below is a photo of the back with said pattern.  This is another for my longed-for book.  I'm not sure whether to show the fronts of them or not?

This pattern is Honeysuckle by P. Ritter.
Criss Cross Xmas Geese.
This is a little quilt I designed a couple of years ago to use some very old Christmas bauble fabric I had in my stash.  I am going to custom quilt it, though I'm sure it won't be ready to hang this year.

Not much decorating going on here as we are going to Canberra for a couple of days, but I have put this sleigh on the piano.  I filled it up some years back and still like it.  There are some other bits around too,



I'm enjoying reading again.  This year has been slow, but better than the year before.  I've just finished one, (can't remember the name) and am currently reading Rosie Hopkins Sweet Shop of Dreams.  I'd put 2 Xmas ones on hold from other libraries and as luck had it our own library had this one which is the first of 2 about the sweet shop.


I've also been getting a couple of magazines again, namely Landlove, Landscape and Love Patchwork and Quilting (which I'm hanging out for at the moment, as it is late coming in).  I used to be terrible with mags, and I stopped getting them altogether, but missed  these ones in particular.  I occasionally treat myself to something special as well.




OK, enough from me.  I'm off for a cup of tea (hubby), milk (me) and watch the last half of the BBL, which is the 20/20 cricket being played at the moment.  It is 9.30pm and still 25deg outside, so probably not the best night for sleeping.  I won't melt tomorrow I promise.
Take care all.
Susan.

17 comments:

  1. Your blueberries are doing really well. I say I have good harvests from mine but the plants are only small so my harvests are nowhere near what you're getting, still, there's usually enough to make muffins as well as giving plenty to my mum and dad to eat on their cereal and I've even had enough to freeze some years too. It would be lovely to have a huge blueberry bush like you've got. I've stopped buying magazines, I used to buy quite a few but I rarely treat myself to one these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I may make some muffins on Monday when it is cooler.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is hot! I hope that you can stay cool inside and not have to do anything too strenuous. The blueberries look fantastic, what a great crop! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, way too hot for me. 25deg is about my limit really, but what can you do when you live in Oz. We do have cooling in this house which is great, as it has hit 41 outside this afternoon.

      Delete
  3. Blueberries look great, pity you cant send them over the border! And I reckon 37 will seem like a cool change after our 3 days of well into the 40's here this week. Not very motivating weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Judy, but I'd love to come and give you some, but not in this heat. (see above), though I do know that you'll be hotter than us. Keep cool too.

      Delete
    2. you can't bring fruit etc over the border into SA even if it wasn't hot!!

      Delete
    3. Forgot about that!!! Maybe I could stew it or make jam?

      Delete
  4. Ah- I remember red hot Decembers - with quite fond memories I have to add :) My warmest one was when we visited Kariba (north Zimbabwe) and it hit 42 deg c - now that was warm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is definitely not for me, but then this is where we live. Our worst was the summer of 2009 and we were living in this town, with bushfires raging not far away and it got to 46. Now that was truly frightening, even when I've experienced close fires in the past. Too dry at the moment and it's supposed to be hotter tomorrow and windy. Send us some rain!!!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Oh that is just too hot. I hope it cools down a bit soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposedly cooler on Monday, Tuesday, but heating up again for Xmas. Do you remember hot summers when in Adelaide?

      Delete
  6. Not quite so hot here, but still far too warm for the time of year. I'm back to the summer duvet - how silly is that?

    Well done for getting some quilting done (hangs head in shame ... not there yet)

    I'm with Jo on magazines, pretty much given up buying them because I find there is not enough content to justify the increasing price and (as Sue knows) they then sit around in a pile making me feel guilty for having spent the money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather is weird at the moment. Sydney even had a tornado in it's southern suburbs, near where I grew up. I spent part of today putting on some binding and a little of the custom work on the Xmas quilt. The mags are ones I know I'll read and two are bimonthly and the quilt one I do enjoy. A few others that I like, can often be borrowed from the library.

      Delete
  7. Your longer quilting looks fab. It seems so funny to hear you say you're enjoying 37 degree weather when it's miserable here. I'm not complaining coz 37 degrees is far too hot for me. I received your card and enclosures today, thank you so much. Merry Christmas to you both x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.Glad you received them Lucie as I was very late getting myself together this year. I'm "definitely not enjoying" the heat.

      Delete