Wednesday 9 December 2015

SNOWFLAKE MAKING.

It's not Tuesday, but now Wednesday and I've only just finished making the snowflake and taking photos as I went.  We spent yesterday trying to track down a small, light craft cutter for me, as I find a Stanley knife too awkward.

Here goes!!!


I used a small craft cutter, paper scissors, a small craft mat and some double sided tape.  I also used a stapler to do the final part.

First I cut a 6" square from some coloured A4 photocopy paper.  You can use any paper with a little body to it, including Xmas wrapping paper.

6" square,

Fold in half diagonally.

Fold again.
Next I drew the lines so you could see them.  They are 3/4" apart and run parallel to the cut edge.
I started at the double fold edge and cut to within 3/8" of the two folds at the other side.  You could do this with scissors after drawing the lines.  I also found it easy with the craft cutter.


Next we start folding and sticking from the centre out.

Fold the small centre square and stick as shown.  I used small pieces of double sided tape, but you can use a small dot of glue.

Turn over and do the next one.

Turn again and stick the next one.

Turn once more and stick the last points together. 
We now have one piece done and need to make five more.

Join all  together as shown below.

Take 3 sections, and have all facing the same way.  I made sure the middle ones all faced to the right.
Staple together at one end.

3 sections joined at bottom.
 Next we staple the red to the white one at the widest point, then the white to the green.

Hope this shows how I did it.
Join the other 3 the same way, then place the two ends together, staple and also the mid sections.

AND TA DAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finished snowflake being held up by hubby.
I DID NOT DESIGN THIS.

I have seen this snowflake in a book, magazines and on Pinterest.  DD and I followed some instructions she had and I found it easier than the ones I had in the book.  The book only showed the square after cutting and being a bit "dim-witted", I couldn't fathom if there was an easy way of making the cuts.  Now I know and hopefully my pictures make it a little easier.
If anybody is muddled, please let me know.
Happy crafting.  Take care.
Susan.




18 comments:

  1. You've explained it all very well. I expect there'll be lots of snowflakes popping up all over the place now, just so long as we don't get the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I thought you'd love a white Xmas.

      Delete
  2. Nice snowflake Susan. Playing with paper is so much fun. I wonder if we could do the same with fabric using Bondaweb to make it double sided fabric. Thanks for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucie. DD and I thought we could do one in felt and I have some Xmasy stuff, so that may happen soon, but your idea could work too.

      Delete
  3. Well done! Thank you for sharing the snowflake - Susan you made it look so easy :) I will definitely try it - thanks xxxx I was thinking about what you said about using greenery as a wreath which due to the heat would just wilt, I was trying to remember what we used in South Africa and we used conifer - it would go crisp but still stayed green. For berries etc we used small red beads and plenty of red ribbon to give that festive feel and use native flowers like the bottlebrush, do you have proteas there?, pinecones and dried seed pods - have fun!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you too. Would like to see your snowflake once made. I've thought of conifer, but just never seem to get around to it. I put my snowflake on the front door, which is under a verandah. Yes we have proteas, though not in my garden. I might give soemthing else a try and see what I come up with.

      Delete
    2. I followed Hawthorn's link to your site. I am her Mum. Yes she is right- we used lots of dried stuff I collected over the years. Painted it white with glitter stuck on (to us too) and used them as a focal point with red baubles, candles and ribbon. I also used loquat leaves as a base for wreaths and table centre piece. I still have some of the painted jacaranda pods which I use in my table arrangement each year. Could do with some of your heat right now! xx

      Delete
  4. These are great fun to make aren't they! This is a much easier way to make them too than I have seen before. I like the three colours as well, very Christmassy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. You could make them in all sorts of paper and although fiddly are fun to do. I've a couple of thoughts about cutting them with fancy scissors and doing one in felt. I suppose I could say, 'watch this space'. (lol)

      Delete
  5. So pretty! Do you think it would work well in a heavy felt? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.I made a reply above, about felt, although what I have, isn't real heavy. Not tried it yet and will see if I can get to it this week. I'm sure you could try all sorts of things really.

      Delete
  6. I love these, I have a pattern somewhere for them. I wont be making them this year but hopefully next x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great and you can make them from paper which is inexpensive. Mine is on the front door at the moment.

      Delete
  7. OK, that's weird. I know I left a comment a few days ago but Blogger has obviously decided to gobble it up.

    Your instructions are brilliant, thank you, and I am immediately thinking of sticking two pieces of fabric together with Bondaweb and making your snowflakes with them . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger seems to be playing up for others as well at the moment, but as you were the first one to ask about it, I thought I'd try and do it in photo form. Lucie thought of Bondaweb as well, so I'm hoping at least one of you will post a pic some time soon. I've got the felt ready to go for one, but haven't had a chance to get to it.

      Delete
  8. I found your blog by following the link on Hawthorn's blog. Love your snowflake and will give it a go, probably with wrapping paper. Isn't the web great?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also came over from Hawthorne! This is a beautiful idea and I must remember to come back and try when it is not midnight and I'm in bed!!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan - am going to try and get back into my blog page but could not remember any details - hopefully going through your comments I can find some information on my account. :-) Watch this space!

    ReplyDelete