Thursday 31 December 2015

NEARLY 2016

CHRISTMAS IN CANBERRA.

We arrived home Monday evening after a long day of driving and it's taken me till today to catch up with a post of my own.
Our son and partner spoilt us with lovely food.

Lunchtime ham.

Teatime dessert.

Christmas afternoon was spent playing  trivia games and watching a DVD called Oddball, which I'd given to them.  Although they had actually seen it before (I hadn't), we all enjoyed.
Saturday afternoon, during a thunderstorm and downpour, we sat and watched a series of Shaun the Sheep and Wallace and Gromit which was showing on one of our local channels.
Sunday was spent down by the Cotter River having a picnic and playing in the water, but not hubby or I as we didn't want to walk on the stones in bare feet, so I played "with" the stones and took lots of photos along the river.  Some I can't show as they are of the grandchildren.






Just a few pics around the river.

I played with stones, whilst B1 and Little E splashed in the water.

My miniature cairn.

Pretty heart shaped stone.

A cicada shell I found.  I find this sort of stuff fascinating, and so did the kids.
As we drove back to J & D's we decided to stop for afternoon tea.  We stopped at Mount Stromlo, where there is an observatory complex along side part of the university.  I remember going here as a child.  The 2003 bushfires which hit Canberra, burnt through this site too.  A few photos below.

Back of this building had housed a cafe, which is now closed, so we had to go to the Arboretum for coffee, which I've blogged about before.

The view from the mountain.

Remains of one building after the fires.
The Original Directors House.



This house was built in 1929 and suffered bad damage in the fires, but they have stabilised it and if you click on the photo above you can see the pics on the mantel showing original, fire damage and now.  I could write more, but will leave it at that.  There is a lot more here than just these bits and we'll explore more next time we are in Canberra.

HOME AGAIN.

Monday was a very long day, quite warm and via a very winding back road.  Won't be doing that again.
Tuesday was loads of washing and shopping.  Tuesday evening I finally opened my parcel containing my 12 Days of Christmas Swap.  Oh, what a lovely surprise I had opening my first four little parcels.

My packages on the floor.

What I've opened so far (actually today will be 7, but I'll do 4 at a time).  The gorgeous tree decoration is Merry Christmas in Welsh.  Jo lives in Wales.  Along side this is a notebook with owl and cute pencil.  Then, oh my, Tunnocks teacakes and Yorkshire tea, which we drink when on special.  Jo knitted the 2 little face cloths and the pretty ball contains nail cream.  Who's a lucky lady?

Wednesday I made use of the cool of the morning and made some, you guessed, 'blueberry muffins' and a rather crumbly chocolate fruit slice.  I don't have a good time with this oven.  It doesn't even take a full size biscuit tray and I swear and curse having to cook 6 biscuits at a time, instead of at least a dozen.  Never mind.


Well it is now New Years Eve and our weather station tells me it is 40.3deg outside, but we have our cooler on and although there is no outlet in the study, it is a "LOT" cooler in the house than out there.
Sorry this is top heavy with photos, but I've 2 more to show.

Sorry about the quality here, but he kept moving.  We spotted this little lizard on some paving up at Mount Stromlo.  He's about 8" long and was so cute.

My Eryngium which I brought over from Ballarat as 2 little plantlets from one I had growing.  The other is just throwing up a flower spike.  Isn't it  a beautiful colour.

I'm sure everyone is now tired of my ramblings.  I had thought about doing a review of the year and realised Id set myself some challenges, which haven't really happened.  Maybe over the weekend I'll sort through some things and see what I did manage to finish.  I know one thing I've not shown, which is nearly a finish.
I do hope you all have a great start to the New Year.  Hopefully the rain and storms will ease up in the UK and our weather won't be quite as warm.  Wishes eh!
Take care all.
Susan.

13 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you Susan, hope that 2016 is everything you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at your photos I could feel the heat, smell the dust and hear the sounds of a hot 'African day' it is amazing how similar the architecture and in places the topography are to my homeland! Have a lovely New Year and keep cool - here's to a happy and peaceful 2016 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't realise parts of Africa were so similar with so much. It's cooler this morning so may head out for the day and do some decent walking.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had a lovely Christmas with your family. I'm loving seeing everyone's Twelve Days of Christmas gifts as they're being revealed on their blogs, I shall show mine once I've opened them all. Wishing you and your family all the very best for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. Thought I'd just show 4 at once, so it's not so cluttered in the pic. Can't believe how alike Jo2 and I must think. You'll see and hear why eventually.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you've had a really nice time with your family. I've enjoyed looking at your photos today because the UK is completely swamped in cloud and heavy rain!!! All the best for 2016, Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Yes, what a difference in our weather for Xmas, completely opposites.

      Delete
  5. Seems to me that you have had and overcome a lot of challenges this year with your house move! That is enough for anyone I should think. I hope that you have a great 2016 with lots of good things coming your way. re your comment to me, yes, I think that we are similar on the insides too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hope that 2016 is better for both of us, as I know you've had an up & down year too.
      Thanks for being a blogpal.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Susan I hope 2016 is everything you want it to be. I've loved taking part in this swap with you I've enjoyed opening my gift each morning & absolutely love the quilt pack you sent me. I'm planning to start it next Friday. I shall let you into a little secret I bought Cornish tea first but after I read your husband is from Yorkshire I hastily changed the tea. Glad you enjoyed them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I'm enjoying too and can't believe that we have similar likes and ideas. As I've opened a couple of times, I've gone whoops, sent Jo something similar. Love my calendar and am going to try each month's recipe. I'll email sometime this week. Have a great 2016 and take care.

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year to you! 40 degrees - wow. I hope it cools down, that kind of heat must be exhausting. Your parcel swap looks lovely, they know you well. x

    ReplyDelete