Thursday 12 January 2017

BITS OF THIS & THAT!!!!

Another week nearly gone since I last posted.  Gee, what have I done?
Let's have a peek at the garden.

Julia's Rose & Eryngium in front of the blueberries.

Shasta Daisy.

A yellow Kangaroo Paw.  I showed one of the large red ones back in December in a vase.

My pink Achillea is finally flowering.  Brought it with me from Ballarat garden.

Our very small Hydrangea I planted last summer.  Bluer than I thought.
Although it's been hot, some parts of the garden aren't doing so bad after all.  I'll admit that I've not planted anything in the veg garden, 😞, but as we were away about the time of getting it all ready, I'll wait till autumn now & start again then.

A DAY OUT.

As yesterday was a little cooler, we decided I needed some sea air (I really do crave it), after being cooped up in the house, for it seems likes weeks in the heat.  I do get outside, but it's not the same as that salty fresh breeze you get off the water.
It was San Remo, which I've posted about before, but I did take some rather quirky photos & also got my face a little sun/wind burnt into the bargain.  I've had fun with these snaps.



Looking out towards Phillip Island, (I've blogged about this a few times).  The stairs on the far left go down to the beach, where we walked for a bit.

Clammy like critters.  Not sure what they are exactly.

More shells clinging to the rocks.

Interesting!  Smooth one side & rough the other.
Back along the path at the top of those stairs.

A creeper spreading through the bushy shrubs with copious amounts of fluffy seedheads.  It was quite amazing.

This was more of a vine, growing up some trees, with leathery leaves.
I do love looking at flora and fauna.  You may have noticed this before?
Back along the path I noticed the different colours of the water.

It nearly looks like stripes.  The colours were gorgeous, with the darker one actually being  drifts of seaweed.

We went back down the steps & walked back along the beach, where we saw these kite surfers.


Back home, what has been happening on the crafting front?

Hubby's been busy with this lot.
All will be revealed when he's finished, but it's a beauty!!!!!
I've not got very far with anything at the moment.  Backing fabric still slouching over the quilting machine.
A half finished project is sitting on the floor so I could do some ironing.

It's something to go with the needle and hook holders.  
Fabric from my stash, that I've been playing with.  Some of it fat quarters I purchased many years ago from Keepsake Quilting in USA (mail order), which was a bit a 'thing' at the time.  Their catalogues, with mouth-watering images of fabric, was a bit too much at times, and I relented & made several purchases, which I'm now trying to use.  I've designed a small quilt for this lot on my Quilt Wizard program & hope to make a start this weekend.  I'd like to think I could piece the top in that time, but it probably won't happen.

OK, one last photo.  It's not the best, but I was trying so hard to get Buddy & her 4 little ones into the picture at one time.  Birds do tend to flitter about, and being siblings (I think), they also started fighting, so I only captured four of them together.



I'll admit to feeding them, but I do love them coming, even if it gets extremely noisy at times.

Going now to serve up our tea & settle down for the night.  Tomorrow we are off to help some car club friends to fix a hoist into their new shed.  HE is "only" 80 years old & just built this shed, basically by himself to house & work on his collection of old cars.  Yay, to him.

Take care all and hope I've not bored you too much.
Huggles,  Susan.

16 comments:

  1. Best to stay inside in the summer, but a trip to the beach sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. I don't do well outside in the heat as I'm so fair.

      Delete
  2. I'm debating what to grow in the garden this year, in fact, I'm debating whether to grow anything at all, I know, shock horror! A day at the beach sounds a good idea in the heat, that breeze that comes off the sea is so refreshing. Your critters are mussels, yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I thought they might be mussels, but didn't really know. Actually I'm not sure about the yum, yum as I've only tried them once & wasn't keen. You've so much stress at the moment, I don't wonder you are having second thoughts about the veg patch, but it's OK to take a break. Your enthusiasm won't stay away forever. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I can feel the sunshine coming off your photos - send some our way! We have had soft wet snow on and off all day :)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. No sun this morning as we are having some much needed rain (wasn't forecast), which will do the rather drier bits of the garden I didn't show, a well deserved refreshment. You can hunker down & paint in your weather.(giggle)

      Delete
  4. Looks like s grand day out at the beach. Your garden is looking good. Everything is looking tired and grey here in the northeast of England so it's a treat to see your garden looking so good. We're waiting for stormy snowy westher in the next 12 hours. I look forward to a little snow, I hope it doesn't miss us x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucie. Kate's had snow (above) on her side of UK, so think it should probably get to you soon. Not as hot so far today as I've replied to above, so may be a little more bearable, but more extremes forecast for beginning of next week. I really want to get on with some of those WIP's for 2017, but lack the energy when it's hot.

      Delete
  5. It's lovely to read about hot weather and days in the sun when it's horrible, dark and cold in the UK! Enjoy your new quilting project - the colours are fabulous. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, but you'd not have found any sun here today. It rained constantly most of the day, so will check our rain gauge tomorrow & see how much we got. Back to 38 on Tuesday, I'm afraid. I hope to start the quilt on Saturday afternoon & may do it as a tutorial(I think), once we get back from the car club in the morning.

      Delete
  6. Snow blizzard just started here, though not too cold. Your sunshine pictures made me so envious!! I could feel the sun on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, snow blizzard sounds "really cold". Sun is out this morning, but windy as. I often think it strange that north are wanting more warmth & we want it cooler, but then of course our seasons are just opposite & we should really make the most of them at the time. Still don't like the extreme heat though. Keep warm & I'll try & post more sunny pics soon.

      Delete
  7. It is always lovely to see what is happening in your garden, especially at this time of year when nothing is happening in ours! A pleasure to go out and about in a virtual way with you too. Hope all went well for your car friend and the hoist, I expect that he will enjoy his new mens shed a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I don't enjoy this garden as much as the one over the other side of town, but it's OK. The day went well & when we left it was all up, but not going up & down. We had to go as the club newsletter had to be picked up ready for the meeting next morning, so hopefully we'll hear soon if the hoist is working.

      Delete
  8. It was good to chat today :) Catching up on your posts... LOVE the knitting needle and crochet hook cases!xx

    ReplyDelete