Saturday 5 June 2021

FRIDAY PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT. - GLASS

 Once again Friday has come & gone with me not posting, but I am here with a titbit of "glass" and linking with Astrid.  A couple from my archives & 2 I took today after a baking session.  Very cold and even though we have a "little" freedom, I'm not going anywhere yet for safety's sake.

NOTRE DAME ROSE WINDOW.

As you can see from the date it is well before the terrible fire.  We did a quick tour of a portion of Europe as a side trip when we visited UK that year for a wedding of one of our nephews.

GLASSHOUSE.
This is the glasshouse at RHS Rosemoor which are lovely gardens in Devon.  Taken in 2011 on another trip for a niece's wedding.

BAKING.
My very old Pyrex glass loaf dish which has seen a lot of use over the years for ginger cake, lemon drizzle cake and even meatloaves.  The cake above is a Maori Loaf & ever so quick & easy.  The recipe was given to me by a friend in the 80s, who had a sister-in-law in New Zealand & she made it quite often.
The biscuits above are from a very old Women's Weekly recipe book, which I've been making since I first got married.  Our eldest granddaughter, now 24 loved them.  The glass dish I displayed them in is one I've also had for a long time.  They are now in the tin & we may have one for afternoon tea.........or maybe a piece of cake.  
OK, my lot done & dusted and hope everyone is having a great weekend.  I'll link this, then later will pop in to have a peek at the other hunters' photos.
Take care all, stay safe & hugs from down under.
Susan.
PS:  I may have a little post about some quilting tomorrow.😏



16 comments:

  1. I visited Paris on a school trip back in 1982 and remember Notre Dame making quite an impact on me. I just love looking round churches and cathedrals and did even in those days when I was just thirteen. Those biscuits wouldn't last long here, they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo & I love looking at places of worship too, including ruins.

      Delete
  2. Nice memories for you and I like your baking dishes and your cake and biscuits look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen & definitely memories these days if we can't travel again.

      Delete
  3. Lovely glass photos and your baking looks good too. I remember visiting Notre Dame and Sainte Chappelle many years ago, the stained glass in both was wonderful. I'm sure you will have seen the Rose window in York Minster when you have visited. We are still not going very far as it still doesn't feel safe. Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie & yes I've been inside York Minster too. We aren't going far either for 2 reasons, being careful & government restrictions.

      Delete
  4. Now that is what I call a greenhouse. The biscuits look delicious, but then (as a rule) on can't beat home-baking. I would never think to use a glass dish for baking a cake in. I'm used to use metal containers, round or rectangular! Fingers crossed they manage to restore Notre Dame. Such a sad tale. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. Isn't the glasshouse a beauty? Pyrex used to make glass loaf pans & assortment of pie plates, individual ramekins & lots of other baking paraphernalia including lidded casserole dishes. I too hope they can restore Notre Dame.

      Delete
  5. I saw the Notre Dame rose window on a school trip many, many years ago and thought it was beautiful. I too have never tried baking in a glass dish unless doing a steamed pudding in the microwave. Hope all is well with you ... take care 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I'm not sure if Pyrex still make the glass bakeware, but it will last a lifetime.

      Delete
  6. So nice to see the Notre Dame Rose Window ... very special.
    Your baking looks very tasty.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah that rose window! I was fortunate enough to see it in person in 2009 as well! How strange, just a couple of weeks prior to your visit. I had taken my grade 9 French students to France at Spring Break which was the last week of March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, can't believe our paths have nearly crossed. Maybe they will one day.

      Delete
  8. Love that rose window. It is gorgeous. I still have some Pyrex pie dishes though got rid of quite a few as I had inherited my mother's too. Never had a loaf pan. The biscuits and cake will be long gone by now. Had a busy weekend and have got behind with my comments. Take care. You will be out of lockdown soon. Just not sure what is happening here. Glad we are not going on holiday. Don't know why people just can't wait another year, its not life or death to get an overseas holiday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning window, I wish I could remember it when I was there at nine years old... so long ago! I bet lots of lovely things come out of that glasshouse. It looks like you have some delicious things to bake and display in your glass dishes, yum!

    ReplyDelete