Tuesday 9 July 2013

Brrrr! IT'S COLD THIS MORNING

Just a quick post as I may not get as much time in the coming week, as we are having visitors next weekend till probably Thursday.  Our son and his partner along with 2 children (B & E) will be descending on us from Canberra.    I'm really looking forward to it, but being only us two, for most of the time, I do find it a little stressful.  Just me being a pain as usual.  Thursday this week we have the Financial Adviser that was cancelled before, so we will be off to Melbourne for the day.
This morning we awoke to a heavy frost and the paddock between us and the hospital is still very white in places where it is in shade and it's now 9.30am Tuesday.  I looked at the outside temperature at 7am and it registered -1.9deg.  I know for some that is not cold, but here in Oz it is.
I was going to join in the QAL over the weekend, but may do a quick post on Friday night.
Sewing has been a bit of hit and miss affair so far over the last few days as I have a rather painful split on my right thumb.  It is positioned just where you hold a sewing needle and I've also tried crochet and knitting with the same problem.  Hopefully I'll let it heal properly this time and it maybe won't come back.  It is just the cold weather.
On Sunday we finished pruning the roses and I brought a couple of things inside to put in a couple of vases.

3 Nerines on the dresser.

A dark pink camellia bud, a jonquil and pieris with a couple of flowers just  opening.
I picked these as it looked like rain and I knew with the frosts as well, that the camellias aren't going to be very nice once they go all brown.  If you click on the picture you can see the little flowers on the pieris.  The jonquil smells lovely.

Christmas QAL cutting in progress, but that's all I"m saying.

The three table runners are rather slow going, but this is the second one on the machine.  It is my Country Charmer table runner done as part of a project with Lynne of "Sewn Wild Oaks".  Most are making the full quilt, but I just don't have enough time.  My A is for applique has also stalled, but I just found some dressmaker's carbon, so should be able to get the wording on, ready for embroidering.  I tried to use my lightbox, but the fabric must be a tad too dark and I couldn't see the letters.   I have fabric ready for the next one.

Well, I must away, as it is Tuesday and my day as a Volunteer at Vision Australia, so till next time.
Susan.

14 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time with your family and try not to stress too much about it. I think you just get used to being the two of you, I know my mum's the same. Hope everything goes well with the financial advisor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan, thanks always for your lovely comments over on my blog.I do love getting them.
    I cant quite believe you are getting frosts over in Aus! My son and his family in Perth tell me every week on facetime that they have been having barbies on the beach so it must be a heck of a lot warmer there.
    Loving all your quilting, I want to do some cushions for the girls bedroom with quilting and applique but never seem to find the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. Depends on where you live in Oz,but down in Tasmania on Monday night it actually got to -12 somewhere, which is a bit unusual. While we lived down there we experienced many freezing nights and even snow in Hobart a couple of times. It can also get below freezing in Alice Springs in winter and so hot in summer it is unbelievable.(never lived there).

      Delete
  3. Have a great time with your family. If you get stressed, have a seat and let them do all the work! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne and yes luckily this son can cook and quite often helps me.

      Delete
  4. The colors in your Country Charmer tablerunner are gorgeous! I love it. Enjoy the time with your family. Hope your thumb heals quickly so you can get back to doing the things you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, thumbs healing quite well now.

      Delete
  5. It's horrible when you can't sew because of pesky problem! I love the colours in your table runner. We're not getting any frost right now but the temperature was a reasonable 19C. Very pleasant indeed. Enjoy your visitors Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucie. I actually did some hand sewing on the binding on Lace Circles last night. Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  6. Those country charmer blocks remind me of a stained glass window - they are beautiful!

    Enjoy the time with the family - it's be a whirlwind, I expect! Don't worry about missing the Christmas QAL this month - time seems to fly so fast that the next one will no doubt whirl around soon enough.

    Hope you're thumb is soon good as new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel and the thumb is coming along nicely at the moment.

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your family time - you'll have a great time once they arrive and get settled. Having a mini family invasion can be stressful, it's true. xx

    ReplyDelete