Sunday 7 July 2013

GOOD WEEK, BAD WEEK.

A beautiful sunrise one morning this week.

TAKING STOCK.

Quick bit about my health and letting others know to find out as much as you can about your medications if you are not feeling as good as you did some months ago.  I've been unwell now for about 15 months and the pharmacist decided to do a check on what I was taking.  It seems blood pressure tablets can have quite a few side affects when taken for a long time, so this may be the root of all my problems and once sorted I may feel like my old self.  My high blood pressure is probably hereditary as I'm not overweight (being approx. 49 kgs and 149 cm tall), don't smoke or drink and was going to the gym twice a week till about 15 months ago when I started getting these bad chest pains.  Ok, you probably didn't need to know all that, but just so people have an idea of "medications" which are sometimes needed anyway.

This has been the strangest week.  On Wednesday two letters arrived to tell me my Dentist had sold his practice and moved on, my favourite bookshop is closing down and to top it all off, the Sister I speak to at my father's nursing home is leaving.  Why on earth all in one week.  I suppose the best thing was finding out the above and hoping to get that sorted.  We also have had a couple of nice sunny days, although the breeze was cold.  Oz has even had it's first decent snowfalls of the season.  I also received my Yorkshire Life and a parcel, which contained the 3 books below it, which I ordered way back in March from Amazon.  The Andre Rieu book my hubby found whilst browsing in our bookshop, which is of course having a closing down sale. I am a big Andre fan and we've been to two of his concerts when he's been in Australia.  I also love Celtic Woman and Helmut Lottie, which is probably a bit of a mishmash to most.

My lovely surprises.
Now for what I've been up to this week.
"Starlight, Starbright".
Changed the wall hanging in the hall at the beginning of the month for this one.  I seem to be remembering to do this little challenge so far.



A spot of baking yesterday resulted in a quick chocolate brownie and a 1 cup apricot cake.  This is not what I was originally going to make, but my kitchen scales had decided to die on me, so I needed to find recipes that didn't need ingredients to be weighed.  Notice my first snowflake in the little vase.

Today I will hopefully get some binding sewn on my "Lace Circles" and some cutting and maybe some piecing for the Christmas Quiltalong ready for next weekend.  I hope to get the writing onto my "A" is for applique block done, so I can start embroidering that.  I have also got 3 table runners on the longarm, with one already done and hopefully the other 2 sometime today.
At least I had a good night's sleep, so maybe today I will not be so tired and achieve these things easily.  Hubby is already at work and won't be home till late this afternoon, so the day is my own.
Have a lovely Sunday bloggers.


10 comments:

  1. Lucky you for seeing Andre Rieu in person. I enjoy his kind of music but have only watched his TV specials. His shows are elegant. Love you Starlight quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His live shows are absolutely fantastic and thanks about the quilt. See you (ha ha) next weekend. Looking forward to seeing what you are up to with your QAL.

      Delete
  2. What a busy week, Sue!

    I'm glad you're having your blood pressure meds reviewed - gosh you're TINY aren't you! I guess everything can have side effects - nothing's simple, is it!

    Funny how these things change all at once - quite unsettling.

    Love the Starlight, Starbright hanging - the stars so sharp, and the background fabrics so rich - looks like velvet.

    Nice to see you so organised for next weekend's Christmas QAL! I'm doing my prep too, and look forward to welcoming everyone to my bit right in the middle of England. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel and yes I'm definitely vertically challenged and would love to feel how I did a couple of years ago. It's the extreme fatigue that gets to me. I'm not sure that I'm really very organised with the QAL, as I spent most of the afternoon trying to do some weeding, which is getting away from me at the moment. See you next weekend.

      Delete
  3. Well I will say that you're far more organised than I am about the QAL. I really must put my mind to deciding for sure what I want to do for the challenge!

    As for the medication review, it's amazing how one new pill can affect the balance of all the others.

    I too love Andre Rieu. Maybe one day I'll see him in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. QAL has to be sorted as I'm having visitors over the weekend and may only get one small post in.

      Delete
  4. I think it's wise that you had your medication reviewed. I think the problem for most of us is that we take the doctor's or pharmacist's word for it, and sometimes they can get it wrong or not keep their eye on the ball when you've been taking something for quite some time. My mum was prescribed three times the dose she should have been on one occasion by the doctor, yet the pharmacist never picked up on it. She was really ill. It certainly hasn't been a good news week for you, it can be tough when everything comes at once. I do hope that you manage to get everything sorted out. The baking looks delicious. I often make brownies as they're Daniel's favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, yes I want to get things sorted too, and feel like my old self and have that long for holiday back in the UK.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, a day all to yourself...how delicious! I hope you accomplish all you want to do. I'd be lost without my kitchen scales, I'm just not used to the cup-style of baking.

    My mother-in-law has been taking medication for high blood pressure for years and had loads of problems with side effects and felt quite unwell with it. Then they sorted out her dosage and she feels a million times better. I do hope you continue to feel better. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really get a lot of part days to myself but not the usual working type day. Hubby does shiftwork and most days are early starts and we don't get weekends like most people.

      Delete