Sunday 9 March 2014

NEARLY FINISHED.

Been quite busy over the last few days and have finished quilting the baby quilt and have made a start on the "secret" project.
Today we went to the markets in Daylesford. I did take the camera, but left it in the car and decided not to walk back to get it, as we'd parked quite a way back down the hill.  It was a great day out, but very warm again and all gravel around the markets, which on my poor feet in sandals, just wasn't good.  In future I'll remember to wear closed in shoes.
Below are some photos of Freya's quilt.  I only have to put the binding on.

Quilt ready for binding.

Closeup of quilting pattern on back.
What's in this box?

Very old plain box and inside..........

Coloured pencils.

There are 72 of these and they are all still there, though some have been well used.

Gillian from, Tales from a Happy House posted about Derwent pencils on her blog which reminded me of mine.  She was questioning the age of the one's they found while spring cleaning.  Mine were bought one at time for 1 shilling each back in the late 50's.  I used pocket money and birthday money over several years, until I had them all.  I was then "lucky" enough to be given the boxes for them by the large department store in Sydney where I'd been purchasing them.  They were old display items.  My children also used them, whilst growing up.  Maybe tonight I could do a little colouring in as something different, in one of these lovely books I purchased some time ago.

Doodle colouring in books.
Well, that's all for today and tomorrow I must sew the binding to the quilt and do some more of the secret project.  Hope you all have a lovely Sunday and take care.
Susan.

15 comments:

  1. I love the quilting on the baby quilt, it's just so cute. As for sandals and gravel, I've done that too. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue,can't wait to get it bound now.

      Delete
  2. Susan I love that quilt, its beautiful, so intricate.I'm not up to anything like that but one day......
    The pencils are lovely, my grandchildren have some chunky ones now but I love those that you have and the range of colours is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, if I was closer I could teach you to quilt. You'd definitely be up to it from some of the items you've shown on your blog.

      Delete
  3. The quilt is beautiful, something for little Freya to treasure. Isn't it lovely when something holds such memories like those pencils, they mean all the more when there's a story behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I do hope they like the quilt. The pencils are still special to me.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, those pencils have travelled a few miles! Derwent Pencils, based in Keswick, are only 15 miles from here.

    http://www.pencils.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pencils have travelled all sorts of places in Oz and of course originally from across the world. I have a photo of me in Keswick beside a huge pencil, taken in 1991. It was taller than me, which isn't unlikely.

      Delete
  6. We don't have Derwent pencils here, at least I've never heard of them before. What a treasure. The teddy bear quilting is so sweet. Lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. I can't understand that they didn't export those pencils to US, or maybe you've never seen them. I was fascinated by colour as a child, but come to think of it, I still am.

      Delete
  7. Lovely quilts. I like coloring too, nice that you still have your pencils from when you were little.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pencils! Thanks for sharing them. The boxes are in such good condition, and there are still lots of pencils in there. And what a good story attached, as well. Lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan,
    We were talking about Derwents at sewing last week. The majority of the ladies are quite a bit older than me, more my mums generation, and they all had the same love for Derwents that she had. I was relating that when I won some scholarship money from my school, one of the first things I bought was a huge set of Derwents. Mums strong influence shining through :-)
    Great to see you're blogging,
    Abbe

    ReplyDelete