Tuesday 18 March 2014

SUNDAY OUTING

On Sunday, we decided we'd go to the Talbot Farmers Market, so quickly made some lunch and a thermos and set off.  Talbot is about 50kms north of Ballarat.  I was expecting something along the lines of the weekly markets in towns through the UK, but I was disappointed.  It seemed to me, more hippyish (I don't think that is a word) than a farmers market.  We'll try elsewhere over the coming months to see what is around.
While there, we noticed signs for a vintage steam rally and went to see that.  Quite small but worth the gold coin donation to enter.

A very cute tool shed.

2 shire horses and cart.

One of the larger engines.

2 Morris Minors on display.

After we left the display, we decided to head home a different way and went via..........

and no, it doesn't have a castle, canal or weekly market, but is about 50kms west of Ballarat.  Whilst there, I photgraphed this unusual church for such a small town.

Bluestone church with quite a tall spire.


These unusual gargoyles are supposed to be kangaroos.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a country church here in Oz with gargoyles.
After we left Skipton another quick detour took us to a lookout tower and I snapped away, but only 2 of the photos are any good, so will just show those.


There were 360 deg views from up the tower.

The tower and I only went to the first viewing platform, as I am not too good with heights.  I think I did well as it was extremely windy.
 And last, but not least, I did something naughty.  I picked these lovely bright pink belladonna lillies from the side of the road.  As I was getting back in the car, I noticed I was being watched by a lady on the other side of the road.  These flowers are not native to Australia and were just growing on the side of the road, so I was not doing anything illegal.  Oh dear, trust me to be watched, but don't they look lovely in my new $4 dollar bargain bottle, which I bought at a small bric a brac shop in Smythesdale, after the lookout.


Well, that was our lovely Sunday outing.  Hope you all enjoy it too.
Take care.
Susan.

5 comments:

  1. A shame about the market but at least it wasn't a wasted day, it looks like you had a lovely time. I wouldn't have even gone to the first viewing platform on the tower, I'm such a wuss with heights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was a lovely day and I try to conquer most of my fears. Thanks Jo for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Skipton looks very different to the one I know! I always like the glimpses of your local landscape in your photos, so different to mine. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. It certainly isn't the Skipton I'd really enjoy visiting.

      Delete
  4. So many places use names from England, I know many in the States have the same. The flowers are lovely and go nicely with the quilted table topper!

    ReplyDelete