Monday 31 March 2014

PATTERN TESTING

Yes, I've been on the quiet side just lately with my blog for a number of reasons.
1.  I've been testing patterns for Sue over at Quilt Times.
2.  My back has been playing up, which makes me a tad irritable and I didn't think I should moan too much.
3.  We've been trying to sort bits of the garden out.

Now I can finally show a couple of photos of the quilts I've been testing.  The pattern she wanted testing was a design called Wimbledon Squares.  I tend to do my own take on patterns, but the instructions were easy to follow and I had no trouble doing it smaller than the large version and here they are.  Sue has allowed me to give them their own names.  They are as yet  not quilted, though the bottom one is on the machine already and will have a pattern called Falling Leaves in a brown called Spiced Tea.


Wombling On.

Autumn on Wimbledon Common.
Whilst out photographing these (I was trying to be arty), we came across these wandering down the road.

Black cows and calves.
Also we have these three photos. We drove down a road called Bo Peep Road to the back of Lake Burrumbeet and I snapped away, though I do wish I had a longer lense for some photos.

A burnt out tree stump.  It must have been a very large tree.

Looking over the lake.

And this one is for Anne (Frayed at the Edge blog).  A very large old threshing machine, originally made in Scotland and shipped to Oz in the 1890's.  Isn't it wonderful.
Last, but not least, I'm able to post a photo of the gift from my 1st blogiversary draw. Anne (Marmalade and Catmint blog) who was the winner has received it and said she has already used it, so I am chuffed.

Armchair sewing caddy.
Well, that's all folks for today and hopefully I'll try and post more often.
Take care and have a lovely week.
Susan.

16 comments:

  1. Hello Susan, thank you so much for your message on mine today! I saw your sewing caddy over on Anne's blog today - it's very lovely, well done! I also love the quilts you've been working on and I'm taking it that you've been a quilter for quite some time? And may I ask, are you originally from Yorkshire? I'm from Scotland many moons ago! I've had a quick browse through some of your posts too, and really like what I see, thank you! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, I was born and grew up in Sydney, but am married to the most wonderful Yorkshireman and love the county very much. Also love Scotland, especially the Isle of Skye. And yes I've been quilting since 1977 basically. I'll follow your blog now too.

      Delete
  2. I saw the sewing caddy on Anne's blog, it's really lovely and will be very useful, I'm sure. The view over the lake is beautiful. I got a longer lens for my camera for Christmas, I realised very quickly that the lens it came with has limitations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, and yes I'm going to check out zoom lens very soon.

      Delete
  3. Both versions of the quilt look lovely in their artistic poses. I think I need to learn to be more adventurous in my quilt photos too rather than just plonking them on the sofa or a bed. Thanks so much for doing them for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the process immensely and have just about finished putting the sashing and borders on the 2013 QAL. Thanks for helping with my mojo.

      Delete
  4. Like you names for the quilts, especially what I think is the very Aussie name, Wombling On. Or is it British? Anyway, love them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's very British as there used to be a show called "The Wombles of Wimbledon Common", which my kids and at least one of my grandkids watched on TV. I think they were a family of moles. One of the UK bloggers will pick me up if I'm wrong.

      Delete
  5. I like your pictures of the quilts. The sewing caddy looks nice, I like the butterfly fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. I have lots of butterfly fabric along with way too much more of all sorts. I'm trying to get into taking better photos of everything.

      Delete
  6. Hi Susan, thanks for the photo of the old thresher - what a fabulous machine! I like your two quilts - looking forward to seeing them quilted.
    I hope you back is better, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry your back has been playing up, I hope it gets better soon. Lovely patterns, lovely quilts - I really like the way you photographed them outside. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. My back has worried me most of my life and I do learn to live with it and as for the photos, I am trying to be more "arty".

      Delete
  8. Well done for being such an excellent pattern tester :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne, I just love playing with colour, fabric and patterns.

      Delete