Wednesday 8 May 2013

HOME AGAIN

A lovely weekend and it didn't rain, although it was very windy for a couple of days.  Here are some photos, which I hope you will enjoy.  We left Friday morning to take us to Lakes Entrance where we parked the caravan for 3 nights.  On Saturday we headed off for McKillopp's Bridge.  We stopped in Buchan for morning tea at a small Road House where the service was great.

BUCHAN
.Looking back towards the cliffs just out of the town of Buchan.  As you may notice, the trees are definitely on the turn for autumn.


GRAVEL ROAD.

Soon the road turned to gravel and I knew that we were in for a bumpy ride, although it was better than I thought.  This section the road was OK till we got to the next section.



LITTLE RIVER FALLS.

We made a quick side trip into these falls, where we had a short walk.  They are  lovely, but I couldn't get a good photo because of all the trees and foliage.
After this quick stop, the road took on a different look altogether.  We passed a sign that read "NO CARAVANS OR SEMI TRAILERS ALLOWED PAST THIS POINT".
For those in the U|K, this means no articulated lorries.  I should have realised it was going to be horrendous, but I also know that my hubby is a professional driver and I should not worry.
Oh boy, did I freak when I saw what was over the top.  A steep, narrow, winding road with an immense drop on my side and a steep bank on the other and definitely only wide enough for one car.  I put something over my face to start with and then was told to read a magazine, REALLY, read a magazine.  We got to the bottom fine and I am always grateful that I have a wonderful, sensible hubby.  He loves these sort of places and I do too, just not this type of road.

Typical sort of country we were travelling in.

McKILLOPP'S BRIDGE.

This photo is taken through the trees, which about the best I could get of the structure,  Below is hubby standing on the approach to the bridge.  It has a timber platform with two more strips which you drive on.  Only one car  can go in either direction.  I t was worth it and something that has been on our to do list for a long time.  The road on the other side was much better and people do come in and  out that way more often.


Information Board.

As you may guess from the board, this is actually the second bridge they built.  We ate our lunch here, then headed back to the Lakes.  Just after we left, we met about 20 young lads on trail bikes, which gave us a scare to start with as they were travelling in the centre of the road, but they let each other know there was vehicle coming, so that was good..

AMBYNE SUSPENSION BRIDGE.

We found this little bridge by the side of the road on the way home.  Stopped and took some photos, then back on the road and a strange noise from the car.  Oh dear, we had a flat tyre.  Luckily we were near a small parking area and changed it for the spare.  We have not had a flat tyre for many years and of all places, out in the middle of nowhere.

I'll do another post later today about the next two days with some more photos.
Susan.




6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, Susan. I remember - with shivers - driving in the US down a hill with very steep slopes at both sides of the road. I had my eyes shut the whole time. It's a good thing Douglas was driving and not me! :oD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound so like me Anne. I was scared, but I try and stay calm. I found the little road on Skye scary, but not nearly as bad as this one.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had a lovely time, the scenery is fantastic. I'm afraid I would have had to get out of the car and walk if I'd seen a sheer drop at each side, I'm no good with heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been a long walk Jo, about 11kms, I think.

      Delete
  3. I would like to see Australia, lovely scenery! It is scary when the shear drop is on your side, I remember once in Greece it was like that we were on a bus and the driver was going fast, when we got near a wider road the bus had a flat and amazingly a man just appeared and started selling big grapes, set up I wonder? ;) He made good money that day with hot scarred tourists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things make you wonder don't they. It was scary, but it was worth it.

      Delete