Saturday 18 May 2013

MOTHERS DAY GIFTS & OTHER BITS




Where has this last week gone.  It seems like yesterday we were over at my daughter's house and celebrating Mother's Day.


The beautiful card my daughter made for me.  If you click on it,  you can see the writing more clearly , and it is so  me.


And these are my presents.  The owls are fridge magnets, the book  is one of Erica  James  that I've not read and the  fun birdcage something I tried to buy, but they had sold out.  I have put three jelly rolls inside to make sure they get used instead of in the cupboard where they may be forgotten.  We'll see, but aren't I the lucky one.




I also brought this home with me.  My daughter has made this for Gs "L", as now that he is 7, his little cuddle quilt I made for him is too small for cuddling under whilst watching TV.  She hand appliqued the cars and vans using buttonhole stitch and drew some faces in the windows.  It looks absolutely lovely.  Gd "M" will be getting one also, with beautiful fairy embroidery.








On Thursday my hubby had the day off and we decided to go out for the day, but as it was windy and lashing down with rain so we went to the Tyabb Packing House Antique Centre as we knew we'd be dry and there is a nice little cafe, so we could have a light lunch.  We wandered around  and saw lots, but luckily didn't buy anything except a couple of old books.  The above pictures are how the sky was looking for most of the day and the second one, galahs sitting on the wires.  These birds are pink and grey and there were dozens of them.  I was lucky to get this pic, as we were sitting at a set of traffic lights and I couldn't find the camera, but it came out better than I thought.


 


On the way to Tyabb, we stopped at one of my favourite little interiors/gift shops.  I don't get there very often and she sells both new and old things.  I bought these 5 little bottles, which I do need to get a little cleaner, but couldn't resist to put them on the window sill this morning with some flowers from the garden.  Not much is flowering at the moment, and what is there, is a little battered from the heavy rain.  My feet were soaked when I came in.  I also picked some rhubarb and will make a crumble for dessert tonight.


My English Garden quilt is now bound and is to be displayed in the Lioness Quilt Show in September, or so I've been told.  I have a few others I would like to finish as well, but with a baby quilt and Gd's to do, they will have to wait.


These are stitcheries I've done over the last few years and I'm debating on a design for them.  It will be a small quilt and probably with lots of floral fabric.  Watch this space.  The designs are from Bronwyn Hayes.

Well, this is some of what I've been up to this week.  Must go and finish making some soup and baking a slice.
Have a lovely weekend girls and thanks for my comments.
Susan.





10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful card and gifts you got for Mother's Day. I love the birdcage, what will you use it for? I can see a lovely plant living inside. Owls seem to be so 'in' at the moment, the magnets are fun. I bought my mum a few Erica James books for Christmas. I haven't read any of her books, but my mum enjoyed them. L's quilt is gorgeous, your daughter has done a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. No plant inside the birdcage, just 3 jelly rolls, which are precut 2-1/2" strips rolled up in a round. We use them to make quilts etc. I think the plant idea is great and have always fancied that, but don't really have any good spots in this house for plants. I've had them before, but not here.
      Yes, my daughter is very clever.

      Delete
  2. I love the cars quilt and the faces in the windows are inspired! What a brilliant idea! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anne, it does look good and I hope my quilting will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card and gifts, I like the owl magnets. Both you and your daughters quilts are beautifully made, the car one is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail, I'm glad you like the quilts and I'm nuts about owls.

      Delete
  5. Hi Susan,
    I would love to have your email address Susan so I can respond to your kind comments you make on my blog. Lovely Mother's Day card. I LOVE your stitcheries! Take care, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn,
      Yes this is my email address: susan.smith49@bigpond.com
      I tried to find one for you but couldn't, so hopefully you will see this. If not I'll try and find one for you.

      Delete
  6. Goodness you are busy! So many projects on the go here. Your day out sounded nice, even if it did rain (we've had a lot of that here, too!) and I love your little display of glass bottles with flowers. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Gillian, I have too many UFO's, but I just love doing things and anyway I think all my blogging buddies are very clever and seem to have lots that they do.

      Delete