Saturday 25 May 2013

THOSE PESKY 2" SQUARES

I Wonder What Is In This Box?


This box contains a rather obscene amount of 2" squares.  These were samples sent to me through a mail order shop in Sydney during the period 1994 to about 2000.  They came along with your parcel, or if you went to the shop they were given to you if you lived in the country.  Sometimes they weren't 2" squares.
In 1999, I was made redundant from the bank and found the whole experience very stressing and could not concentrate on anything very time consuming.  What was this person going to do?  Why, sit and play with these squares.  I put them into colour groups and made some nine patches and four patches.  They then needed to be made into something,




On Point Nine and Four patch quilt.

These two quilts are the first I attempted.  They aren't particularly original, but I didn't follow a set pattern, just put them together after playing around with graph paper and pencil.  ( I've been sewing on a machine since I was 7 and made my first quilt in 1977).
My second option.



This little quilt (20" x 25") is made from the ones that weren't 2".  I cut them all to 2" x 1 1/2" and then sashed  it. Didn't seem quite right, so I appliqued the birdhouse and then it seemed finished.



Not sure how I came up with this design, but the graph book was  out again , and this just seemed to happen.  I  started to quilt it on my old long-arm, that wasn't stitch regulated or computerised.  It has not very good feathers in the diamond green middle and simple pattern in the border.  I started to do the squares on my Bernina and have now unpicked that as it was bunching up too much.  I'll just quilt in the ditch on about every third row, then bind it.

This sampler is an adaptation from a Doreen Speckman book shown below.  I am thinking of quilting it in an allover pattern, as it seems very busy and I don't think anything special will show up well.  What do my "quilting buddies" think?  I am open to suggestions.




Book, (picture of Lace Circles is on page 61)


This afternoon I made a Raspberry Blondie, but I've not tried it yet.  A new slice from a supermarket freebie mag.  I will put some yoghurt on tonight.

After following Lucie the Happy Quilter's blog, I have been inspired to start finishing some of my WIP's,
Below is an apron I cut out many years ago after making many as presents for family and friends.  This one only needed me to make some bias binding, so last week it was all done and I wore it today in the kitchen.
I've also pulled some smaller projects that I will hopefully make a start on over the coming winter months.
I am also going to make a dent in my own stack of "flimsies".
There is already some backing on "Bubs", my long arm machine and may be tomorrow I will take a photo  of the top when it is ready to go.  I'm still contemplating what I will do on my Grandson's quilt.

These photos were supposed to be better than my last lot, as we purchased a new camera during the week, but I think I'll be on a steep learning curve.  It is an SLR and I've only had  a small digital one up till now, so here's hoping they will get better with time.

Well, that is my Saturday nearly done.  I will keep sewing the binding on the baby quilt tonight, while waiting for hubby to come home, after a long Saturday shift.
May post a couple more photos late tomorrow.
Have a nice weekend ladies.
Susan.


15 comments:

  1. I love all the quilts you made using up your 2" squares. Now I may sound ignorant but what are "flimsies"? I'm glad to hear that you're getting thru your UFOs. It's a great feeling when you can cross another UFO off the list. Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flimsies are tops waiting to be quilted and I picked the saying up from "Sew'n Wild Oaks Quilting" blog.
      Thanks for taking the time to look.

      Delete
  2. Your quilts are stunning. I'm always in awe of anyone who can sew, I do wish I'd learnt. It sounds like we're both on the learning curve with our SLR's, I'm still on auto mode and I can't see me progressing beyond it at the moment, but there's plenty of time. What model did you get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought a Samsung NX11, not that it means much to me. I'm also on auto, as I only used it for the first time yesterday to take those photos for the blog. I've also got a DVD to learn from and he gave me a free case. We'll see how I go.

      Delete
  3. I love the 9-patch quilts, specially the first one you showed. As for cameras, I've never been able to get to grips with anything more complicated than a point-and-shoot type digital one where I don't have to make any changes to settings, it even decides for me if the flash should be used. I am in total awe of anyone who can use anything more complicated than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. The camera is a learning curve, but I will start watching the DVD which is supposed to be good and see how I go.

      Delete
  4. Your quilts are all absolutely gorgeous! You have created treasures with those little bits...yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilts are really lovely. Even your first ones are better than anything I could ever attempt! I leave my DSLR on auto a lot, especially if I'm outside with the kids and can't be bothered to muck about with the settings. And I made blondies this afternoon for the first time! They smell amazing, I'm going to have to eat one soon I think. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tea loaf - it's dried fruit (I always use sultanas but you could use raisins) soaked in tea with flour, egg and sugar. So easy. I posted the recipe about a year ago, if you want it the link is here:
      http://www.talesfromahappyhouse.com/2012/01/abigails-tea-loaf.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks Gillian. Sounds similar to my tea loaf and I usually use currants, though this time it was a mix of currants and sultanas to finish both up. Our blondies are yummy.

      Delete
  6. Your quilts are amazing! So creative. The last one reminds me of stained glass windows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. Now that I look at it, I think it looks like stained glass too.

      Delete
  7. What a super collection of quilts! I am enjoying using up my scraps along with Lucie, although I haven't been brave enough to count my UFOs!!
    Have fun playing with your new camera - you'll soon get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. won't count mine either, but I'll try and do some this year along with other things. Thanks for the compliments.

      Delete