Wednesday 7 January 2015

MY FIRST CHALLENGE UNDERWAY.

I decided to pull my first challenge from its bag and box and make a start yesterday.  I proceeded to take the paper foundations from at least 2 parts that are complete (mammoth task), then work out which section I would start putting together next.  Having worked that out sewed two of the outer sections, then called it a day.
First thing this morning after the daily chores, I set about getting another corner section together, but that has not happened as a couple of the sections I sewed back in 2010 at a very stressful period in our lives aren't right.  There are 3 joining pieces which are similar, but definitely not the same and I've put them in the wrong order, so will have to do them again.
As I have joined Lucie in the Lets Finish it Up challenge I will post about it here as it happens and show part of what has already been done now.  The two sections I've removed the paper from I've already photographed and here they are.

A corner section
 See the small pieces at the sides of the stars.  They look alike don't they?  NO, they are not and that is where I've gone wrong, with some to redo.

One middle section.
I have another small middle section like this done and the longer version which goes right through the middle in between the other two.

It is again today, very hot and I will show what my poor front lawn looks like and no, I do not water it, as we live in a very dry climate here in Oz, so when the rain does happen, it all greens up again anyway.  I do use my washing machine water on our small back lawn to keep it looking somewhat good.

Part of our front lawn , looking across the road to the reserve.

Next a quick photo of my tiny little veg patch, which I'm pampering during the heat.

This small bed has not long been planted, though the seeding parsley has been there since last year.  We have 3 tomatoes, 2  I bought as seedlings and one transplanted from the path.  I put in 6 bean seeds and have 5 up and doing OK, plus a row of carrots just showing through.
I know that's not much, but as we were away in UK at some of the best planting time, I decided easy was best for now.

Now a big THANK YOU to all who commented on my last post.  Sorry I've not replied, but my laptop I use after tea whilst I'm watching TV has been playing up and I lost both comments on other blogs and replies on mine.  I've done some tidying up on it and it seems to again be working well.

Have a great week and I'll be back over the weekend with a challenge update.
Take care and huggles from Susan.

14 comments:

  1. My goodness Susan, I am in awe of your quilting! It is amazing. So incredibly intricate. I can imagine that keeping track of all of those pieces is very tricky to do. I look forward to seeing more and hope that you enjoy the finishing it up process. Our grass always goes brown in the summer, but the neighbours seems to stay green, I guess they must water, but as you say, as soon as it rains and/or turns cooler it always goes back to green! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. Paper piecing makes it easier and more accurate, so they say. It's just the joining bits I'm having trouble with. The grass may be green by next week as there is a big rain band on the way from Western Australia, though I don't always believe it, but I'll let you all know if we do get it.

      Delete
  2. That quilt looks just amazing. I can see how you could easily get the wrong pieces in the wrong places, it looks very complicated. On thinking about it, you've got the RIGHT pieces, just in the WRONG places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. It's been a real process over the years and I must show the pattern and say where it comes from in my next post. I always try to remember to tell that and I forgot.

      Delete
  3. Well done for getting stuck in to that first challenge. It can seem daunting when a project has been on the go for some time but you'll be pleased that you've got it all sorted out once it's done. Any home grown veg is better than none but you've got a bit of a task on your hands growing veggies in that heat, no wonder you're having to pamper them. I'm sure they'll reward you in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I'm making good headway so far and as for the veg, they've just had a good soaking from the heavens, so are looking quite good.

      Delete
  4. The quilt is beautiful and shows what a skillful quilter you are.

    Good idea to use a mulch over your soil to minimise evaporation - everything is looking pretty healthy. Lovely to see that someone is getting hot and dry weather - it is so gloomy here at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel. Mulch is a must over here, especially for veg. Gloomy here too, over the last couple of days with more rain to come. (so they say).

      Delete
  5. Your garden photos remind me of my childhood - growing up in Africa often looked that shade of brown that turned green as soon as it rained! Your quilting looks quite complicated - I shall watch with interest as it develops and finishes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so you grew up in Africa and know what I mean by lack of rain and lots of heat in summer, though no sun today and quite cool. More photos coming very soon of the quilt.

      Delete
  6. It looks rather complicated, and it's not easy to pick up something again after a long period of time. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more complicated than your lovely Amish looking New York Beauty that you were finishing in August 2013. I've now got back into it, so hopefully it will be a flimsy by the end of the month.

      Delete
  7. Hi Susan, just did a catch up read through your posts, your quilt pieces look amazing, I like the stars and colors you are using. You are in the intense heat and we are in the intense wind and rain oh and its dark a lot. I hope you have a great year and start to feel happier where you are at, its hard when you move. We have a huge move on the horizon, but I'll worry about crossing that bridge as we get closer to it. Enjoy your weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the catchup Gail and the compliments about the quilt. Now you have me wondering where you are moving to and leaving beautiful Yorkshire behind.

      Delete