Saturday 10 January 2015

OUCH!!!!!! THAT HURT.

ENTRAPMENT.

This is the culprit!  That hole where the hinges are.
Yesterday I made ham, cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches for lunch.  After we'd eaten, I washed up and cleaned said toaster, dried it and then decided to move it to the other side of the bench.  Instead of closing the lid, I picked it up, two hands on the base and the cord swung down, so silly old me went to catch it with a couple of fingers and the lid snapped shut, catching my left index finger.  I swore, then cried as it was just so painful and of course I couldn't open it till I'd put it down again.   It was throbbing so much, instead of grocery shopping, I saw the doctor who sent me for an X-ray at the hospital, but no, it's not broken, just fat, red and luckily not nearly so sore today.

TAKING TIME OUT.
In my challenge post, I mentioned that I'd take some time out to do things I really love and one was to keep up with flowers in the house (flower arranging).  I went out before the rain came and cut 3 agapanthus and some pittosporum leaves and popped them into my cupid vase and put them on the table.  I don't have nearly as many agapanthus here, but still love seeing their pretty flowers in a vase.



FIRST CHALLENGE  -  PART 2

Another centre joining strip de-papered.

Second corner now together  and de-papered/
The central strip that goes between the two halves is done, but still has papers and I'm not sure how to take a photo of it, as it is very long.  The stars for the other two corners have been done for a long time, as well as those inner pieces, so now all I have to work on is the joining bits and the outer part of the corners, then it can all go together.  I hope to do one next week and the other the week after and by the end of January it may all be in place.

WOODWORKING?

Not me, but hubby.  He has some finishes as well.  Many, many years ago, I bought him a lathe and he did a little on it, but now retired, has been playing with it lately and is enjoying.  He made me this little bowl, which I'm keeping some paper clips, etc. in, as quite often I need to hold papers together in the sewing room.

Bowl.
Over a couple of weeks during the holiday period, he also worked on a single piece of wood, about 70cm long and 50mm x 50mm in thickness with a chisel, drill and dremel (not my new one), and made this.



The first photo was taken on the trellis, as I couldn't find anywhere else to hang it and the second is a close-up of the chain part.  Now isn't he clever and he'd only ever seen some pics somewhere and just went ahead and worked it out for himself.

Well, I think that is enough for today and hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.  I think as long as the weather holds, as it hasn't rained today, although it's been overcast and cool, we'll head out for a walk tomorrow.  I'll be back midweek with "something".
Take care and huggles,
Susan.

11 comments:

  1. Ouch! I hope your finger feels better soon, those little accidents are the ones which always hurt the most. You've got a very talented hubby, that chain is so intricate, I wouldn't know where to start. Fabulous. I love the bowl too. The weather here is awful at the moment, I haven't slept for the past two nights as it's so windy and it scares me to death. It's forecast until at least Monday so I'm battening down the hatches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, finger's feeling a lot better and I can do plenty again. Yes, I am so surrounded by clever people, I feel quite inadequate at times. Hope the wind abates for you. I mainly don't like it because it makes my ears ache something chronic. Talk to you soon.

      Delete
  2. Ohh! Your poor finger. That is not nice at all. I hope that it is feeling much better again very soon. Glad that nothing was broken. Yours and your husbands things are both so amazing!! I love your husbands carving, he is incredibly clever and talented. Your quilt is coming along really well now isn't it. I look forward to seeing more! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly things we do as we age. I was just in a hurry is the truth.
      Hubby is "very" clever when he puts his mind to it and the quilt progressed by one joining piece this morning.

      Delete
  3. Ooh - ouch - finger entrapment! Hope it doesn't get in the way of any crafting! Your husband's woodworking is amazing - hope he keeps it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a lot better and hasn't got in the way of machine sewing, though I couldn't knit for two nights. Hubby has always been very clever, but full time employment got in the way, so now he's retired we'll see what he gets up to.

      Delete
  4. It's said that the home is where most accidents happen. Hope your finger is improving and you aren't hurting very much. Well, your challenge is beautiful. It looks like an interesting design. Love the things your husband has made, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch, poor baby :{ Hope you feel better soon. Arnica will help with the bruising.

    Very impressed with your complicated foundation piecing, I love the look but don't really enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finger is getting better, just sore on the top now. Thanks Jayne. I have fits and starts with FPP, but this really does need to be finished, as it's been on the go for so long or on the other hand put away for so long. (lol).

      Delete
  6. Ouch that sounds painful, hope its feeling better. The wood work of your husbands looks really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete