Saturday 3 January 2015

HOT HOT HOT!!!!!!!!!!!

The above says it all.  The last 2 days have been 38 & 37 degrees and extremely windy.  South Australia is in the grips of it's worst bushfires since 1983 and we've had our fair share as well, though most are now under control.  I do hope things pick up for S.A.  and pray for cooler weather and rain for them.  We've had our best rain in months late this afternoon along with lengthy thunderstorms.  There is still some thunder about now.

OK, this was going to be my CHALLENGE post, but being so hot, didn't do a lot and think I'm tired now.  My challenges are going to be in 2 parts.  One will be to do with my quilting and the other just things in general.

We'll start with the general one.

NUMBER 1
As a child and up until I had my first baby, I read "a lot".  Over the ensuing years with 3 children, a full time job and other commitments, the reading went by the wayside except for a few short spells.  I've quite a few paperbacks that I've bought and not read and hope to catch up slowly, but first are a  couple I intend borrowing from the library as they sound so good.  They are going to put these 3 on hold and let me know when they come in.  (Hope not all at once.)




If I borrow them, I'll feel obliged to read them, whereas when they are here at home, I think I'll get around to it one day.  Another that I'm going to ask about is this one.

Jo recommended this one and I think it sounds very interesting.

NUMBER 2
 I have a box under the quilting machine that reads, "WIP's" also known as work in progress, so that is on my list.  Most of it is sewing related and really needs finishing.  Said box below.


NUMBER 3
I am going to try something new each quarter of this year.  Of course I talked of pyrography on my last post. I also have a needle felting kit, plus a punchneedle that I'd like to try.  Playing with some papercraft type bits is also in there too.  So that's four different things.

QUILTING

NUMBER1
I must finish my foundation paper pieced star quilt which was started in 2008 along with a friend who wanted to learn.  We started and then so many things got in the way and although I've done all my stars, it is not together yet.  I think I may have shown it once a long time ago. Everyone can give me a push on this one.

NUMBER 2
For some years now I've been working on some quilts intending to write a book and this is the year it is going to happen.  Maybe now that I've put it on my blog, I will really get it done.  Wish me luck.

I've other things I would love to get done, but know I need to be realistic.
 
One more thing that is not really a challenge, but something I think we should all try at times and that is to make time for yourself.  Having a hubby who is now retired I don't seem to take the time to just do those silly little things that always gave me pleasure, like tinkling on the piano or doing my Relaxercise exercises.  Even my blogging, flower arranging and photography seem to take a back seat at times, so I'll give myself the time to make these happen.
As I sit writing this, darkness has fallen, it has stopped thundering and raining (which we needed) and a frog has just started croaking, so all is well with the world.

That is my lot for tonight, so I hope I can keep my challenge goals and post about them as they happen.  Take care all and huggles from Susan.

6 comments:

  1. I hope the weather starts behaving itself soon and that the bushfires are kept under control. I have The Yorkshire Shepherdess on my list of books to read, I remember seeing Amanda Owen on The Dales, she certainly lives an interesting life on a remote farm with her brood of kids. You've set yourself quite some challenges there, I think you're going to be very busy in 2015. I bought Eleanor a needle felting kit for Christmas, I got it when I was at Yarndale, and I had one bought for me too, one of Jenny Barnett's lovely hares. I hope I can do it justice, I've never tried needle felting before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've set yourself some lovely challenges - It will be lovely watching them happen, hope the weather cools and the fires controlled, here's 2015 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice goals. I don't have plans yet, but I like getting the WIPs done, so I will put that one on my list. Your book choices are intriguing. I'm interesting in Judy; doesn't it sound like an amazing book? I hope you enjoy them and let us know if you can recommend them when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll look forward to hearing what you think of the books. I'm always on the lookout for good ones to add to my wishlist.

    Your quiting goals sound good too. I really need to take a grip of my WIPs too.

    Hope the weather has cooled down a bit now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I am first of all and strangest of all going to wish for some more rain for you so that it keeps you cool and makes sure that the fires stay away from you and stop spreading to anywhere else. They are horrible things, so I really hope that you don't have any troubles with them. I hope too that you can have a great fun time working on all of your different challenges and projects for this year. It all sounds very interesting and I will be reading with interest to see what you get up to and how it all goes! Have fun and best wishes for a great 2015! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We struggled through the heat too, but were very thankful for your WONDERFUL aircon - wouldn't have survived without it! Now we seem to have caught the 'flu, in the middle of summer.. go figure... Your goals sounds good, I am working on mine at the moment and on a blog post :) xxx

    ReplyDelete