Friday 27 December 2013

A BABY QUILT --- TO BE

Now, everyone knows I've been complaining about "stuff" being packed in boxes and not being able to work on certain projects.  Well, on our very hot Thursday, we made a short trip to the storage unit that we took on for the "de-cluttering" before we put the house on the market, to pick up our pedestal fan for future hot days and what did I find, but a plastic tub with a label that said - WIP's and SPECIAL PROJECTS.
Inside, I found the fabric I had bought earlier this year for my niece, thinking she was already pregnant and expecting a girl.  It turned out, she wasn't at the time, but later in the year, I got the news that she was.  Then, her brother spilled the beans that it was a girl.

I am going to talk you through what and how I'll be making this quilt.

First, I designed it on a software program I have called QUILT WIZARD, which is one of the older variety of the Electric Quilt series.  I also design on graph paper.
  It is a simple quilt, but will show a couple of blocks and how I make them, which is my way and not necessarily the right or wrong way.  I've also used fabric from my stash as I'm trying not to buy anymore till it is a little smaller, (and yes it is large), but then I did make my first quilt in 1977, so I'll leave that to your imaginations.  I will do this over several posts.


First, I cut two 9 1/2" strips across the width of the fabric, then cut these into 6 1/2" rectangles.  I needed 9.  These will showcase the lovely focus fabric I bought.


Next, I cut 2 strips 2 3/4" from each of 4 different fabrics, across the width again.
I then sewed each of the strips together to make 2 sets of 4 as shown below.

I ironed the seams to one side and all in the same direction, as this makes cutting easier.  I then cut the strip sets into 12   6 1/2" rectangles.
On this quilt, no seams will have to be matched so makes it easy for a beginner.

Now, we have two sets of blocks put aside and early next week we'll work on another two, one easy and one a little more complicated.
At the end, after the quilt is completed, if anyone thinks my instructions are ok, I will be able to give fabric requirements as well. This is just to see if I can do this sort of thing on my blog.
I've designed many quilts over the years, but just for myself, so we'll see how all this goes.
I'll be back tomorrow as it is another special day.
Take care all, Susan.

3 comments:

  1. I shall look forward to seeing where you're going with this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had babies in the family which I could knit or crochet for, there hasn't been any since Eleanor was born. I look forward to seeing what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to be following these posts because it looks interesting. The Teddy Bear fabric is sweet.

    ReplyDelete