Saturday 7 December 2013

STRESS, WEATHER AND WILDLIFE

It's been a rather stressful week, with two letters arriving a day apart, about problems with pension information for both hubby and my Dad.  Sorting these out always amounts to much time spent sitting and waiting to see someone.  Ours is sorted and hopefully Dad's will be in the next week.

The weather here has been absurd.  Beginning of the week we had a day of 34 deg, then a couple of "much" cooler days with squalls of very heavy rain and  freezing winds.  Today is quite warm and sunny, but comfortable and I did some more weeding this morning and nearly half filled our green waste bin again.  I was accompanied by this beautiful stick insect that we photographed the other day on the flyscreen of one of the windows.  He seems to have made the side passage his home and didn't mind me gardening out there.

The stick insect who is about 12 inches long.
On Thursday we decided to take a trip down to Inverloch, (not realising how cold and wet it was to become), as this is a lovely spot in summer that draws in big crowds to the golden beach and river estuary, so we tend not to go at that time of the year.  I took some photos of how rough it was on the boat ramp and then some more on our way home that I hope everyone may like.

Waves breaking onto the boat ramp.  This stretch of water is usually quite calm.

An echidna I spotted on the side of the road.  As long as I made no noise, he was quite content to let me photograph him.  In fact he seemed quite inquisitive and watched me for a while.  When I stood up and made the leaves rustle he pulled himself into a ball.

This is Eagle Nest Rock, a landmark on the road to Wonthaggi via Cape Patterson.

A view of Westernport Bay.

A wedgetail eagle soaring high in the sky.  I love these birds and although we see quite a few, I never get the chance to take a photo.
That is about all my news for now.  I feel that life is definitely in limbo at the moment as everything I go to do is thwarted by being packed away.  I'm going to think up some crazy ways to make the house look Christmassy over the next week, so you may get a good laugh at some stage.
Take care all and hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour, have never been over to that part of Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, hope you get over this way sometime. It is beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got the powers that be sorted out for your pension, I hope you soon get your dad's sorted too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. We usually get there in the end.

      Delete
  3. Super photos of the scenery - even if the weather was bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. The weather is really odd at the moment, but I suppose that really isn't very different to anywhere else in the world, we just know more than we used to.

      Delete
  4. I loved seeing the echidna, I've never seen one of those before. Glad to hear that you've got one of the pensions sorted out, hope you get the other sorted too. I'm sure you've got plenty of greenery which could be brought in to decorate the house. We're not looking festive at all yet, we've done no decorating at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be able to put photos of wildlife on so people on the other side of the world get a glimpse of it. I am a little bit nutty about nature, so am always on the lookout whenever out and about.

      Delete
  5. Wow Susan thats a big stick insect! My son keeps telling me about the 'wildlife' they see.Not keen at all on the spiders but he says they tend not to come indoors. The echidna is cute, sort of hedgehog like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is hedgehog like but with a longer snout to get into ant nests and have a feed. Umh, we do have large spiders and it's one thing I do not like and probably the only thing actually.

      Delete
  6. You show me pictures of wildlife that I have never seen or have never heard of. We have had warmer than normal weather here, but now it's finally beginning to feel normal, which for this time of year is cold. I prefer it, at least for now. Thanks for showing the beautiful area you are in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The echidna reminds me a little bit of a hedgehog. It must be frustrating to be half unpacked, living in limbo as you say, but I'm sure you'll find a few ways to decorate the house for Christmas, even if it's just bringing some greenery indoors or lighting some candles. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you get all the pension stuff sorted, I hate dealing with that sort of bureaucracy more than anything else.

    The echidna is cute - never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete