Saturday 11 April 2020

FRIDAY WALK.

Thank heavens we went for a good walk yesterday, as we have ferocious wind, bouts of driving rain & it is just plain cold today.  It was a lovely day for a walk so we took advantage & tried a slightly longer route with a new street we'd not trod before.
Taking my camera with me, we spotted all sorts for me to snap.  Quite a few to show..........
Along the grass verges....
                                                               We spied a buttercup.
                                                         Tiny white & yellow daisies.
                                                                        Clusters of fungi.
                         A view over the south eastern edge of town from a higher vantage point.
                                                   A beautiful eucalyptus all snowy white.
 The black seeds forming on a decaying agapanthus head on a large vacant block, where they demolished a lovely old brick art deco type house.  It is still waiting for development one day.
A timber walkway at the bottom of a sloping small parkland.  Quite often you see a kookaburra perched on here.
We crossed the road and headed towards home through what we call a linear park running alongside a tiny watercourse & usually a thoroughfare between two streets.
Notice the smaller notice under the sign.  They are dotted around anywhere there is a childrens' playground.
                                                                  Said small play area.
                                                                                                               
These trees are again eucalyptus, that we always refer to as stringy barks.  Not sure that is correct, but you'll notice they shed a lot of bark.  Below it has gathered at the foot of this tree.


                                                More fungi gathered in little hiding places.

 Looking back along the path from where we had walked.  You can see some grass & the side of the watercourse with a lot of untidy growth at the moment.
Closer to home we came across a very late flower on the Ficifolia, another one of the many gums.
One last snippet I'm leaving you with, are these holes we encounter from time to time near the watercourses.  They belong to Burrowing Crayfish of West Gippsland & build these chimney type mounds around their burrows.  I've never actually seen one, so I must do some research, though I do know they are endangered.  We see them in quite a few places, but I'd not noticed them in this linear park before, so will keep my eye on them.
Well that's all from me now, but I'll be back tomorrow.  I'm having days & even minutes where I feel all at odds with the world,  but it more or less passes & my more frequent blogging is helping, even if boring for some.
I want everyone to take extra care, stay safe & hugs from a very windy down under.
Susan. xx

12 comments:

  1. Your posts are not boring Susan and it's lovely to see around your neighbourhood. Nice to get out for some permitted exercise, it's a shame your weather has turned nasty. Intriguing about the burrows, I must look up about the burrowing crayfish, nature is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen & yes it's good to get out for a walk, which although we do it at other times, taking my camera with me is making me look at the smaller things. I should find one of the plaques that tell about the crayfish & photograph it.

      Delete
  2. I think we'll all be seeing parts of our neighbourhood we've never explored before by the time this lockdown is over. Glad you managed to get out before the bad weather hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I think you may be right about exploring our neighbourhoods.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos of your walk, Susan. How fascinating about the crayfish. It's a good job you got out and about before the weather changed. Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. I've known about the crayfish, but never this close to home. We've seen their chimneys on the other side of town where we used to live & up around Jindivik which is where we had our Xmas lunch. I'll keep an eye on these ones.

      Delete
  4. You saw lots on your walk! Those eucalyptus trees are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Louise. I love the variety in our native tree species.

      Delete
  5. The white eucalyptus is stunning.
    Interesting about the crayfish.
    Never boring visiting with you, i'm enjoying being taken along n your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. I love nature, so lots will usually appear on my blog along with crafts.

      Delete
  6. Lovely walk, that eucalyptus is striking, stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. For some unknown reason, I've just remembered people years ago using bark to make pictures & they were stunning. They are probably still around, just not the "in" thing at the moment.

      Delete