Sunday 12 April 2020

SEWING ON SUNDAY - 2.

A week has passed since I decided to do this and not much has happened and a lot has happened.  It all depends how you view it in this time of crisis..
I've made headway on the quilt, but 'alas', now I am stumped for fabric for the 2 borders, all because I thought that I was being clever using a pretty charm pack given by my friend.  And, it's not as if I haven't a wonderful choice in my stash.  I'll contemplate during the week, auditioning & see what I finally figure out.  This little quilt is destined for the little one over the road.  3 months old & I can't even have a nurse till the world tries to be normal.
OK, here is a little more of how I went about it.  Remember, this is just me doing, not a tutorial or quiltalong, thinking it may be interesting in these tough times.

Cutting the ingredients - ha, ha.

From the charm pack, take 25 5"  squares
From sashing fabric, cut 8 2.5" strips from width of fabric, then cut into 60 2.5" x 5" rectangles.
From the cornerstone fabric,  cut 3 2.5" strips from width of fabric, then cut into 40 2.5" squares.

1.  Sew a sashing piece to one side of each of the 5" charm squares. (25 in all).

                                                I then pressed them towards the square.
I actually chain sewed 5 at once, snipped them apart, then pressed.  I need to keep moving a lot, because of my back.  Probably not how most people work & I took photos as I went, uh, when I                                                                                        remembered.
2.  Sew a cornerstone to one side of each, of 30 sashing pieces.

I did exactly the same with the sashing strips, pressing again towards the square, so that once we sew all the rows together, the seams nest neatly.
Before I sewed the rows, I played with placement of the colour on my design wall, until I found a combination that looked OK to me.
                                                                  The mock up so far.

We'll leave it there for this week, so anyone even attempting this with me can have a week to play.

I have decided to try this in another colourway too from fabric in my stash.  This one will also be a baby quilt for someone who we know through picking up our car club newsletters printed locally.  She gave birth to a little girl in mid March, amid this pandemic.  Not the best time for babies, but they will be so precious. 
Time for a cuppa, so that's all for today & hope you are all doing well.
Take care, stay safe & hugggles.
Susan.

4 comments:

  1. That looks lovely. Although I I have loads of fabric in my stash, I ordered some new charm squares and fabric for this project. As soon as it arrives I will make a start

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks really nice. Such a shame you can't hold the little one it will be a gift for, one of the toughest aspects of this crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely,those quilts will be treasured when you are finally able to give them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mock up looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete