Tuesday 14 April 2020

UK TRIP 2019 - MOUNT GRACE PRIORY.

Heading out one morning from Scarborough with a plan in mind, we entered our destination into the SatNav & started on our way, only to find we had headed into a disused quarry, although a lot of people were walking in the area.  We did speak to another couple who had also got lost, so this time I found the postcode & we arrived safely at our chosen destination.
Very bleak and definitely not where we'd intended.  Turned around & finally found this............

I'm always blown away by the spectacular ruins we see in the UK & this didn't disappoint.
Exploring was on the agenda & we viewed the cells where the monks lived & worked.
 I expect this is probably not the original furniture, but it certainly gives an idea of how they would                                                                                 have lived.
                                              Each monk had a tiny garden outside to tend.
                                                                       Also a privy.
Outside again, wandering the grounds was peaceful, quiet & so serene & green.

Wandering back through the main part of the church I noticed this cross, so another snap.
Walked round to the other side to see if there was any writing on it & much to my surprise, I saw.......
                                                                             THIS
                                                                     Isn't it amazing?
Still wandering and taking photos.
The grounds.

The gardens.

The beautiful priory house.
It had a date stone, which again always takes me aback.  So much older than any structure in Oz.
                                                                       1654,  wow!!
Just one last photo I couldn't resist.
Cyclamen in all their beauty.  Something we very rarely see here, either.
Lots more photos were taken, but I won't bombard you with too many and sometimes something in my archives comes in handy for our Scavenger Photo Hunts.😉
Although I've been trying to do these on Mondays, yesterday slipped past in a bit of a blur.  We went for a nice long walk, as it was sunny after such a nasty weekend.  Another walk is scheduled for today after lunch, plus maybe a bit more weeding of dandelions from back grass (can't really call it lawn) and some sewing which I need to catch up on too, plus my on-line grocery order (ugh).
Hope you are all hanging in there, stay safe, take care and huggles from this oldie down under.
Susan.


6 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos of somewhere I have never visited. Don't worry, we have had satnav disasters like that too.
    Would you believe we had an outside toilet exactly like that when we move into an old terraced house in the late 1950s :)
    Pleased you are getting out for some nice walks.
    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pity we hadn't 'met' when you were there. It's less than twenty minutes drive from my home. I could have made you a spot of lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks an interesting and beautiful place, we must try and find it if or when we can return to that area. The statue of the monk is wonderful. Thank you for sharing your photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really enjoyed this adventure today, what a statue the monk is. I'll have to look our this place and maybe i'll visit myself like Rosie in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tour, thanks Susan, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is somewhere I haven't been but it looks like a lovely day out.

    ReplyDelete