Monday 6 April 2020

UK TRIP 2019 - NOSTELL PRIORY.

Another Monday already!!  Well I do have the catching up bug.
We spent a lovely day at Nostell Priory in Wakefield wandering the gardens & parkland, camera in hand.  Probably too many photos, so I chose some to show today.
                                              The facade of the house is very impressive.
                                    The veg beds in the walled garden were very productive.
Pumpkins or squash.


                                          A long vista of the garden enclosed by high walls.

Then we went walking through the beautiful parklands surrounding the house.
                                          There were several water features we came across.
         This wonderful tree with a supported branch.  I can see children would love playing along this.
                                                  I found this fence absolutely fascinating.
                                       Along the path you come to this arch in the stone wall.
                                                   A closeup of the indentation of a cross.
                                           This small building had the most beautiful doors.
My memory is letting me down & I do wish I'd picked up a better brochure of some of the features around the Priory.  Sorry about the lack of information.

                   This photo was taken in the vicinity of a small zoo on the site at one time.
                        A willow sculpture, which I really like. Something we don't see out here.
                                         And something else we never see, a clapper bridge.
We kept on walking along another path & out into more open countryside on the estate & along the way saw these.
                                   Passed more water with waterlilies & and an arched bridge.
                                                              Another entrance gate.
A path led down through some woods with a steep bit, so the sign says.  I loved the cogs used as a sculpture.
Last, but not least was this sign below in the stable block.
This was another great day out & one I could cross off my bucket list of things I'd wanted to see.
Hope you enjoy.
Take care all, stay safe in these tough times & huggles from down under.
Susan.
                                 

8 comments:

  1. Oh I did enjoy your photos, thank you. I've discovered that most of my ancestors came from West Yorkshire so I'll look forward to seeing more posts about your UK trip.
    Stay safe and well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. My father's side came from Northumberland & Yorkshire mainly. My hubby comes from Leeds, hence why we try to visit.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos, Susan. thank you for sharing them. We dropped into Nostell Priory close to Christmas one year after we'd been to a family funeral in Wakefield. It was all closed up except for the coutrtyard and cafe. I've always wanted to go back:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rosie. I loved walking the gardens.

      Delete
  3. I've never been here but seeing your photos, I think I would very much enjoy a visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really enjoyed being taken on your outing today, thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing. Beautiful photographs.

    Stay safe

    Mx

    ReplyDelete